Week 2 formal practice: Sitting Meditation

Tine

• Members
Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2020 at 3:25 PM, Jen84 said:

So I wouldn't say I'm brand spanking new to meditation, but I am certainly no expert either.  Oddly enough, I've been finding the sitting meditation to be a very anxious experience this week.  This is really new for me.  Trying to work on letting go of the concept of "meditating the right way".

I've had a lot of difficulty with sitting meditation in the past, and I'm fortunate: I worked at the Insight Meditation Society for years and got some great guidance! All the teachers say to not force it, if the body and mind are really rebelling. Sounds like you have some great insight into a new way to approach it, however. Wishing you peace!

Edited by dawnrobertson
  • Members
Posted

I've been a daily practitioner for 12 years but focused on moving meditations cuz sitting was deeply distressing. I'm so happy to return to sitting with more grounding and ease! Some interesting things I noticed. Impostor syndrome, even after 12 years of practice! Like I'm just faking meditating (as if that's a real thing lol). I'm also noticing a good amount of vulnerability, as if mindfulness makes me weak and vulnerable because I'm not churning out a protective/defensive identity.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
On 5/2/2020 at 1:00 AM, dawnrobertson said:

Impostor syndrome, even after 12 years of practice! Like I'm just faking meditating (as if that's a real thing lol)

I am glad you brought that up. I experienced that too, but didn't quite get a grip on it until I read your post. Like someone switched the light on. ?

• Members
Posted

Just finished week two.  Was a very busy week and there was a lot going on.  It was okay, but not great. I think this week will be MUCH better.  It is already.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Focus on breathing.. I do enjoy sitting meditation rather than body scan. I easily fall asleep on week 1. But sitting meditation keep me focus.

In fact I had difficulty to breathe during the meditation, it make me feel that I dun know how to breathe.. I need to look back into myself than I can breathe better. 

I using my partners room for meditation, somehow had worries that he will come in to the room anytime. Any sound will drive my focus to the door.

Anyway will try to practice n make it perfect again today

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

i just did my first seated meditation i am now feeling 

calm,relaxed,happy,peaceful,

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Hi! I'm starting week 2, day 1 today. I'm glad to be here. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

I just finished week 2. I liked the variety of alternating between the body scan and sitting meditation. 

Although I've practiced meditation sporadically for years, the sitting meditation was new for me. In the past, I've been drawn to breath meditations that seemed to encourage control of breath, so I found it difficult to not control my breath. I still plan to practice the breathing meditations that I've done in the past, but I'm also looking forward to adding the sitting meditation into the mix.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Ive just completed week 2 MBSR and as always find the whole journey fascinating. Whether it is at this present time in my life that it is most needed?  Even the science behind it all blows my mind away -  I think what if I knew this when I was 20 (I am 50 in a few days) I totally get the more you practice the stronger you become and yes I do struggle still with thoughts in the beginning but find they eventually float pass me like clouds.  I can relate to the post - 

Hi, I am on day 2 of week 2 and I am really struggling with the sit down meditation. I find my mind is wondering loads in the quiet parts of the meditation. With the body scan meditation my mind felt more focused on the words

?❤️

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 6/22/2020 at 12:15 PM, cordyfu said:

Focus on breathing.. I do enjoy sitting meditation rather than body scan. I easily fall asleep on week 1. But sitting meditation keep me focus.

In fact I had difficulty to breathe during the meditation, it make me feel that I dun know how to breathe.. I need to look back into myself than I can breathe better. 

I using my partners room for meditation, somehow had worries that he will come in to the room anytime. Any sound will drive my focus to the door.

Anyway will try to practice n make it perfect again today

Your body knows how to breathe, and we trust that every time we fall asleep. I understand the struggle of merely watching the breath and not consciously influencing it.

Maybe you can try a different spot where you know you'll be undisturbed. In the beginning, even in my room, I was in an alert state as someone might want to come in. With more experience I also got comfortable announcing to the people around me that I am going to meditate and I'd like to be uninterrupted. It somehow comes with practice. Asking for time for ourselves might look selfish at first, but it is a gift to everyone you interact with.

One last word: Our practice is just that: our practice and it guides us, supports us, and some days might feel "better", "more perfect", "easier" than others but they are just different.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Hi everyone, travelling back in time from Week 4 here! Just wondered if anyone knows where I can find some different versions/ voices for the sitting meditation? I'm finding that repeating the same videos too many times leads to me tuning the voice out a lot more, so I'm looking for some variety to keep it fresh! Welcoming any suggestions :)

• Members
Posted
On 10/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Tine said:

@ias206 Tara Brach has many guided mediations and also talks freely available on her site: https://www.tarabrach.com/guided-meditation-basic-meditations/ which work well with the MBSR course.

Please let us know which one you enjoy the most in the resources overview. ?

That's brilliant, thanks very much! I'll let you know how I get on with them :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

Hello All, 

My reflections on the sitting meditation and body scan!

Although meditation is part of my routine however i would like to always explore myself.

in body scan i noticed sleepiness 1st couple of times then noticed i was doing it at night so shifted my timing. in the day it sound much relaxing , presence.

i noticed pains in shoulder i never knew they were there. 

as for sitting meditation im relatively used to it and working with the breath 

Posted

My relationship with the bodyscan keeps changing. It used to be the most boring exercise and these days it's my energizer in my lunch break which allows me to get out of my head and ground myself into my body again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Having mostly done sitting practice, I struggled less with feelings of lethargy that accompanied the lying down body scan. I am however noticing a greater awareness of my body sensations than ever which revealed the benefit of the body scan.  I am looking forward to week 3 and exploring mindful yoga. Nicole 

• Members
Posted

i like that sitting meditation is allowing me to be present here and now. experiencing the awareness liveliness.

Awareness expressing itself to itself through itself. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

I experienced that sitting meditation does not bring up as much distracting/distressing sensations compared to what I experienced in the body scan. While I found that I enjoyed practicing self-guided body scan meditation more, I found that the guided sitting meditations were more useful. I liked that the cues and prompts from the videos guided me back to my breath and gave assurances if I was drifting off. It provided positive assurances while I would have likely scolded myself. So far, I've been really surprised at myself for practicing diligently. I'm enjoying the course so far.

• 3 months later...
  • Members
Posted

I have found that by the end of the week my focus has increased substantially. I really do appreciate that space when the mind begins to settle and the thoughts can drift in and out freely without attachment. I found there were some days when it was extremely difficult. Fatigue and business kept me from really sinking in. But I trust it is a process and like any muscle takes time to grow and develop.  I would like to continue to incorporate my sitting practice with every moment of my life. While I find it easier to sit and keep focused on my breath, I find at times in my daily life, even when I know it's better for me to just sit still and watch, the pull of the external world and my old habits sometimes pulls me from that peace. Patiently I shall work.

Posted
Am 25.4.2021 at 17:55, schrieb Adam:

I found there were some days when it was extremely difficult. Fatigue and business kept me from really sinking in.

Congratulation that even on these days, when it's the hardest you did sit. That's a big accomplishment. The stress engine is running and while if sitting is hard our body and mind recognize the break and it's an amazing moment of self-care which is paying off at every moment of you day to come.