Rosabishop

Depression

Glassgate
Posted

Yes, mindfulness is great! Really focus in on what you are doing at the moment. Pick something you think you might like- a new food, a hot bath, a project and dig in. It can give your brain chemistry practice again in sensation in a safe space.😊

waybeyondfedup
Posted
On 11/4/2019 at 12:54 AM, Rosabishop said:

Hi all I've joined to try and be more sociable and get happiness back in my life, depression is a very lonely illness and friends an family don't seem to understand or try to support

On 11/4/2019 at 2:26 AM, Hippy said:

Hi Rosa, you are not alone. Here if you fancy a chat. I too have depression, taking anti depressants for 20 plus years

On 11/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, ShareeBelshaw said:

Rosa,

I have also been suffering from depression, so I completely understand how debilitating and lonely it can be.

One of the things that keeps us in depression is the constant negative dialogue in our heads - it’s not easy to start feeling better when that voice in our heads keeps reminding us that we are failures or unworthy; that constant rumination tends to focus our attention on reliving hurt or regret from the past - or worrying and fearful about the future; it’s a bit like having your mind hijacked by an incessant, negative voice intent on keeping you locked in a depressed state.

Recently, I learned about ‘mindfulness’ and it is making a huge difference for me. Here, on the Happiness.com website, there is a free 8 week, online course you can do called MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction), which teaches you how to quieten that negative self talk. MBSR has been extensively studied by neuroscientists and it has been shown to have a physical impact on our brain’s neural pathways - helping to alleviate both depression and anxiety.

When I first started, I was horrified at the thoughts that ran rampant in my mind. It is helping me to be more present in the ‘now’, while changing that dialogue into one of love and self compassion - for me, just becoming aware of the pattern of thinking and being able to now interrupt it, is a victory!

At the top of the screen, you will see a tab called ‘Academy’, click on that and choose the option MBSR. I would also suggest getting the book ‘Full Catastrophe Living’ by Jon Cabot Zinn. He actually developed the MBSR program and the book is required reading as a part of the course.

best of luck darling!

On 11/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, Glassgate said:

Yes, mindfulness is great! Really focus in on what you are doing at the moment. Pick something you think you might like- a new food, a hot bath, a project and dig in. It can give your brain chemistry practice again in sensation in a safe space.😊

@Rosabishop, @Hippy, @ShareeBelshaw, @Glassgate,

Belated welcome and know all this feeling of depression all too well.  Of course also (mostly) on antidepressants for almost for 20 yrs or so.  This also goes for anxiety, but that also comes along with born with speech/learning impairment/disability.

I also highly recommend you and/or others take a look at whats out there.  In which highly recommend that you proceed with caution with whats out there.  Especially, with the money part of it.

I mean I for one would rather prefer to have/see it being for free and/or maybe donating a small amount to keep it going.