Candy

Tips on living a (more) simple life.

Tine
Posted

A simpler life - that's a hard one. As I started buying less, I am repairing more, and there's always a pile of stuff that needs to be mended, fixed, repared, reused, upcycled. Cleaned yoghurt jars and glasses are sitting around to be used; kitchen scraps are collected for the compost, seeds are saved, and so on.
So in my experience, the less I buy, the more I have on my todo list, and more messy old stuff sits around waiting to be used and transformed.
I might be missing the subject as I am talking about more sustainable life and that's not necessarily simpler - definitely not tidier and in my case comes with more stuff. 😉
I like the rule "If it's not used regularly or brings you joy it can go" but now I let lots of those things sit around as I'd rather keep the stuff I have and reuse it than rebuying it when I need it.

Burtondrum
Posted
Less is more!
Tine
Posted
13 hours ago, neuguru said:

That made my life so much simpler. No expectations. No attachments. Not so many desires.

Thank you @neuguru

After adding my reply to this topic, I kept pondering the words "simple life" as my life didn't become simpler, but there's a certain quality of contentment, ease and happiness to it that I didn't know before and having fewer expectations, attachments and desires are areas were things became simpler.

I'd add: piece by piece replacing self-doubt and anxiety with self-compassion and kindness.

Candy
Posted
20 hours ago, Tine said:

A simpler life - that's a hard one. As I started buying less, I am repairing more, and there's always a pile of stuff that needs to be mended, fixed, repared, reused, upcycled. Cleaned yoghurt jars and glasses are sitting around to be used; kitchen scraps are collected for the compost, seeds are saved, and so on.
So in my experience, the less I buy, the more I have on my todo list, and more messy old stuff sits around waiting to be used and transformed.
I might be missing the subject as I am talking about more sustainable life and that's not necessarily simpler - definitely not tidier and in my case comes with more stuff. 😉
I like the rule "If it's not used regularly or brings you joy it can go" but now I let lots of those things sit around as I'd rather keep the stuff I have and reuse it than rebuying it when I need it.

Haha I'm guilty of this too! Especially glass jars that I can reuse as I get rid of the plastic containers in my kitchen. 

@neuguru Thank you for your input. I think what I need to learn is to let go of my attachment to the material things and realise that everything I already have is enough, while slowly getting rid of things I no longer use.

Berta
Posted

Thank you @Candy for starting this topic. 🙂

Simpler in the sense of more sustainable for us is more work, but it's the kind of work that gives meaning. Mending a beautiful sweater old is "recreational work" and so is gardening, cooking, canning, building, fixing, ...
I guess to me; simpler means more in touch with life.