Vegan Recipe Share

Candy

Posted

Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles (Vegan, Gluten-Free)

Made with fresh, colourful vegetables, tender rice noodles and tossed with a sweet/spicy peanut sauce. This vegan dish incorporates everything I look for in a meal: quick & easy, healthy, flavourful and oh! so satisfying.?

I typically make this dish for lunch, but it makes a great light dinner too. The flavours are simple yet authentic, the sauce spicy yet sweet, and it pairs well with most vegetables.

The simple peanut dressing is what makes this vegan dish. I prefer making my own peanut butter, but a store-bought version works too.

Servings 1-2

Cooking time: 25-30 minutes

Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free

Best served fresh

NOODLES:

• 100g of any white or brown rice noodles

SPICY PEANUT SAUCE:

• 3 Tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 2 tsp toasted sesame oil (any other oil works, but I prefer the flavour of this one)
  • 1 tsp fresh grated or minced ginger (or more to your liking)
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup (can sub brown sugar or honey if not vegan)
  • 20ml tamari/coconut aminos (or just plain old soy sauce)
  • 10ml rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp chilli garlic sauce (I use the store-bought version. Can also use sriracha)
  • A few Tbsp hot water (only needed if the sauce is too thick)

VEGETABLES:

• 60g uncooked firm tofu (dry and cubed)
  • Any vegetables you like (I use red onion, peppers, carrots, and broccoli)

TOPPINGS:

• Roasted peanuts
  • Sriracha sauce
  • Spring/green onions
  • Coriander (cilantro)
  • Fresh red chillies (optional)

Instructions:

1. Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions.
  2. Prepare the sauce by combining the following ingredients into a small bowl: Peanut butter, 1 tsp sesame oil, ginger, maple syrup/sugar, tamari/soy sauce, rice vinegar, chilli garlic sauce. If the sauce is too thick, add a splash or two of hot water and whisk it all together. Set aside.
  3. Once the noodles are cooked, drain and rinse them in cold water. Set aside.
  4. Prepare the vegetables by chopping them into small pieces.
  5. Prepare the tofu by cutting it into small cubes. I like marinating it in a mixture of tamari and chilli garlic sauce for 5-10 minutes.
  6. In a (cast-iron or non-stick) pan, add 1 tsp of toasted sesame oil and toss the tofu in the pan. Once browned on all sides, add the veggies to the pan and sauté for a minute or two. I also add about 1 tbsp of water at this point to soften the vegetables just a little. Set aside. 
  7. Bring the noodles to the pan, mix the sauce into the noodles and then top with the tofu/veggie mix.
  8. Serve with toppings of choice.

IMG_1582.jpg

Posted

Tasty, fluffy vegan no sugar banana bread

20200806_144518.jpg

This is the vegan banana bread I make and here's the modified recipe which I get consistently great results (for my taste, oven, ...)

• 100g oats
  • 300-400g very ripe thoroughly squished bananas (save some thin banana slices to put on top before baking for the looks)
  • 30ml colza oil
  • 280g spelt wholegrain flour
  • 1 Pack of backing powder to make sure that even a banana bread gets fluffy
  • around 30ml of almond milk to give the dough a right consistency
  • some cinnamon
  • a pinch of salt
  • a tiny hint of clove and nutmeg
  • sunflower seeds

Put everything in a pot, stir thoroughly with a spoon.

Prepare the cake tin by putting butter or oil on all the sides and then make fine breadcrumbs or semolina stick to it, so all the sides are covered by it, then fill the dough in and put the banana slices on top.

Bake for around 40 - 45 min at 180°C.

Enjoy ?

For a recipe twist that allows all variations (for example quince compote) please check my blog tasty-vegan-no-sugar-no-banana-bananabread

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Creamy Veggie Pasta

I'm a massive fan of creamy pasta sauces. One of my favourite things on a vegan diet was playing with all the different ways one can make a creamy sauce without using dairy products. 

In the beginning, I splurged on cashew nuts, thinking it the only way to get creaminess in sauces similar to dairy cream or cow's milk. The nuts are an excellent source of iron, zinc, protein, potassium and magnesium, but these benefits also come at a very steep price.

When I discovered the human cost of cashew nuts, however, I decided to stop buying it and search for alternatives. Little did I know how easily replaceable cashew nuts are, especially for people with nut allergies!

Today's recipe is a 20-minute ensemble using very few ingredients, yet not lacking in nutrition or flavour. It's a quick and easy dish and especially recommended for those on a dairy-free, nut-free, and gluten-free diet.

Servings: 1-2

Cooking time: 15 minutes

Cuisine: Vegan, nut-free, gluten-free, oil-free

Noodles:

• Your favourite pasta/noodles. I used gluten-free buckwheat pasta spirals.

Creamy sauce:

• 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (hemp seeds work well too)
  • Juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
  • Dash of cayenne pepper
  • Salt & pepper to taste

Vegetables:

• 2 cloves garlic
  • Artichoke hearts (canned/jarred is ok)
  • Zucchini
  • Spinach
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Mixed dried herbs

Instructions:

1. Boil the pasta according to the package instructions.
  2. While the pasta boils, prep the veggies by cutting them into bite-sized chunks.
  3. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water. Feel free to add a good glug of olive or avocado oil to the pasta to keep it moist.
  4. To a pan, add a splash of water and sauté 1 garlic clove until soft.
  5. Next, add all vegetables to the pan, except the spinach, and sauté until soft. Stir in the herbs and salt & pepper to taste.
  6. Once the veggies have softened, add the spinach until it wilts. Set aside.

For the sauce: 

1. Soak the sunflower seeds in hot water for approximately 20 minutes. 
  2. Drain the seeds, add it to a blender with one clove of garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper and blend on high, adding water to thin out the sauce to your preference.
  3. Once smooth, mix the sauce into the pasta, stack the vegetables on top and ENJOY!

P.s. I don't often cook with oil, but feel free to use olive or another oil of your choice for cooking the vegetables in.

IMG_1583.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

#2 Chocolate Protein Granola

Sometimes I prefer something more crunchy for breakfast, so I make a batch of this granola, which also happens to double as a snack! It pairs well with coconut yoghurt and fruit. 

Store-bought granola is fine too, but I find nearly all of them have unnecessary added refined sugar and other "natural" ingredients that are actually chemically produced.

Servings: Depends on how much you eat ?

Cooking time: 25 minutes (including time in the oven)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat groats (optional)
  • 6 tbs chia seeds
  • Nuts, roughly chopped (I like almonds, walnuts or pecans)
  • Dried fruits such as dates, raisins, currants, or cranberries
  • 1-2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • Clean, unsweetened protein powder
  • 40ml melted coconut oil
  • 40ml syrup (rice, date, agave, or maple - your choice ?

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (356 F)
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add the coconut oil and syrup and mix well. If your mixture is too dry, add more oil.
  4. Spread out flat on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes, depending on your oven.
  5. Once it starts to brown, flip or stir it around and bake for another 8-10 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool completely before breaking it up into bite-size chunks.
  7. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Side notes:

This granola also makes a great pre or post-gym/workout snack. 

You can use any flavour of protein powder, although I would recommend looking for one that has the cleanest ingredients and no added sugar or sweetener.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

#3 Chia Pudding

Chia pudding is super easy to make and very filling. It's high in fibre, omega-3 and even has a bit of protein!

I usually make a bigger batch and have it for breakfast 2-3 days in a row with the same or different toppings.

Servings: 2

Cooking time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

• 100g chia seeds
  • 500ml plant-based milk (I like coconut or almond)
  • 2 tbsp coconut or other plant-based yoghurts
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
  • 100g mixed berries
  • Cacao powder (optional)

Instructions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl or jar.
  2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight if possible.
  3. Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!

Pictured is my breakfast from a few days ago using a cacao powder mix from one of my favourite brands.

0B9D95FB-0A46-4618-B6B0-92308F11DC44.JPG

Posted

Coconut flatbreads - Vegan, gluten-free

I know we're still on breakfast recipes, but I made something interesting yesterday and thought I'd share it here. ?

I felt like eating Indian naan bread, but being sensitive to wheat and gluten, I decided to try something more comfortable on the stomach. Enter coconut flatbreads. Made with coconut flour which I happened to find when clearing out a kitchen cupboard.

Servings: 4-5

Cooking time: 15 minutes

Ingredients

• 70g coconut flour
  • 30g psyllium husk (powder is also fine)
  • 3g salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 250ml boiling water
  • 50g coconut oil
  • Optional: garlic powder + herbs (I used oregano and garlic powder)

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients by hand or whisk.
  2. Add the oil and mix well.
  3. Add the boiling water bit by bit, until it forms into a dough.
  4. Divide into 4-5 small balls
  5. Roll each ball between 2 sheets of baking paper to flatten out.
  6. Use a pot lid to cut them into circles, or leave as is.
  7. Dry fry in a pan for 2 minutes on each side.

Notes:

Leave out the herbs and garlic powder to have your flatbreads with sweet toppings too :)

coconut-flatbreads.JPG

Posted

20201006_075927.jpg

This morning I made almond milk.

After several years of struggle, I finally managed to drink milk rarely and now what bugs me is that we create so much trash with the packaging of soy or almond milk.
So last night I soaked 200g of almonds in cold water.
This morning I blended them with warm water and strained it through a "cheesecloth" (no idea what this fine fabric is called in English...)
I got about 2 litres out of it. And the rest of the almonds will be part of the vegan apple cake I am going to make in the evening.
The tricky bit is most likely to get a blender that is strong enough, so you end up with both milk and almond flour. The finer the result, the more almond milk you get out of it. I think really good smoothie blenders will do the trick. We have a model from the 60ies which works really well too.
With our blender 100g of almonds for 1litre of almond milk is enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members
Posted

Gluten-free Vegan Lasagna

This recipe takes a vegan twist on lasagna where zucchini and eggplant ribbons replace pasta, lentils and tomatoes replace ground meat, and a nutty pesto makes it golden and rich. The hearty spices give this dish an earthiness and warmth that makes for a comforting meal

Prep Time: 20 Minutes, plus overnight to soak
Total Time: 40 Minutes
Serves: 4 Persons

Ingredients
½ cup lentils (soaked overnight)1 can of tomato sauce2 T finely chopped shallots½ T crushed garlic8 to 10 big Basil leavesSalt to taste preferably Himalayan salt¼ t ajwain seeds1 T ghee2 medium-sized zucchini1 medium-sized eggplant1 cup spinach cilantro pestoFreshly ground black pepper½ cup of ricotta cheese¼ cup of crumbled fresh paneer

Method
Heat ghee in a pan and add ajwain seeds and shallots. Shallow fry till golden brownAdd garlic, tomato sauce and lentils and let it cook till the lentils turn mushy.Add roughly chopped basil leaves, salt, and pepper. Mix and set asideWash zucchini and eggplant and cut into long elongated ribbons. Set asideIn a baking dish, spread a small amount of tomato sauce evenly. Place the eggplant ribbons longitudinally.Spread a thin layer of pesto, followed by random small dollops of ricotta.Add a layer of zucchini ribbons and spread generous amounts of tomato sauce followed by eggplant ribbons and repeat the layering.After the final layer of zucchini, top it off with crumbled paneer and freshly chopped basil leaves.Bake at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes, till the top layer of paneer, turns golden brown.

Notes
This recipe is a good healthy meal if you want to follow a plant-based diet or ketogenic diet.

source: iahas.com

3.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

20211121_191745.jpg

btw. what you see in this picture is my friends interpretation of "finely chopped" 😉

I'd call it "chunky".

• 6 months later...