Week 1 formal practice: Body Scan

Tine

• Members
Posted

I have finished with the week 1. I have enjoyed the experience so much and learned lots to incorporate to my regular guided meditation which I had been doing over the years. The raisin eating mindfulness had a huge impact on me and I have started to practice making all my 5  body senses sensitize to what I eating, being mindfully. 

I could not figure it out which works better for me starting the meditation exercise from toe up or head below. I believe there is no right way or wrong way starting from any of the either side. Is it better to follow only one way on daily basis, either toe up or head down? 

Is there any difference between breathing in & out through the mouth and breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth?

Posted
On 4/22/2020 at 4:27 AM, Temjen said:

Hello, Can you kindly help me with the Formal practice exercise, what to write with the following questions. A sample would help me understand.

@Temjen Sorry for the late reply! 

The experience is different for everyone, and every time you practice, so there's no right or wrong. You listen to your body sensations, your thoughts and emotions, and after the practice, you write some of the things down that came up.

Here in the thread, there are already plenty of examples ranging from describing a peaceful experience to a tough time. I often recognize that some areas are quiet while feeling into the hands usually quickly experience some tingly feeling, and I easily recognize the temperature there.

I hope this helped, and I am looking forward to reading about your experience.

You already wrote another post about your experience. There you raise two questions. The first one you already answered for yourself. It doesn't matter, but then again, it does matter if it matters to you. So do the bodyscan in a way that is most beneficial to you.

Your second question is "Is there any difference between breathing in & out through the mouth and breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth?"

There are many answers to this from a medical, yogic or energetic perspective, and I do not have the expertise to give those answers correctly. From an MBSR perspective, I would emphasize the attitudinals of "beginners mind" and "curiosity". How are those ways of breathing different to you? Can you feel a difference? Where? How? This is an excellent invitation for further investigation into your own experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

This is my second 8 week MBSR course.  The last one was through Brown University.  I did it during the school term so I was distracted, but did enjoy it. I learned a lot.  I am trying to get certified to teach but it is expen$ive through the normal channels.  Thousands. Or at least from what I can tell. I was delighted to find this opportunity. If you search online you can find just about anything. Sometimes.

I know the body scan is very important, but it is, or can be, a difficult skill.  It is not so much my mind but my body. Oddly enough. 

I think I get it now though. why the body scan is so important.  It is a holistic practice which involves everything but movement.  I would like to know where Jon picked it up. The story behind it.

• Members
Posted

I sense that the body scan is important.  However, many people, including myself, find it challenging. This is my second 8 week course and I just had my best body scan ever.  It was from a guided scan from mindfulness.com. Thirty minutes or so and started at the head and went down.  I think one of the key factors was that I was not tired, but rather energized.  I think for starting out the circumstances and environment for the body scan is important. At any rate I thought it was somewhat of a breakthrough. 

I am glad I persevered, and urge others to do so also. Also, not to cut corners and stick with it even if it does not feel right or if you tend to wonder, really wonder, of course during the exercise.  Neuroscience suggest that wondering but coming back is what builds new neuro networks.

MIke

• Members
Posted

Finished with the body scan. Gong into week 2.

Mike

Posted
On 5/17/2020 at 8:19 AM, mrperkins said:

a guided scan from mindfulness.com

Hello Mike, I am happy to hear about your journey with the bodyscan. For me the bodyscan also leads to a wide range of experiences. ?

Please feel free to share guided meditation you find beneficial on our resources page.

• Members
Posted
On 4/28/2020 at 2:53 PM, Tine said:

@Temjen

Sorry for the late reply! 

The experience is different for everyone, and every time you practice, so there's no right or wrong. You listen to your body sensations, your thoughts and emotions, and after the practice, you write some of the things down that came up.

Here in the thread, there are already plenty of examples ranging from describing a peaceful experience to a tough time. I often recognize that some areas are quiet while feeling into the hands usually quickly experience some tingly feeling, and I easily recognize the temperature there.

I hope this helped, and I am looking forward to reading about your experience.

You already wrote another post about your experience. There you raise two questions. The first one you already answered for yourself. It doesn't matter, but then again, it does matter if it matters to you. So do the bodyscan in a way that is most beneficial to you.

Your second question is "Is there any difference between breathing in & out through the mouth and breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth?"

There are many answers to this from a medical, yogic or energetic perspective, and I do not have the expertise to give those answers correctly. From an MBSR perspective, I would emphasize the attitudinals of "beginners mind" and "curiosity". How are those ways of breathing different to you? Can you feel a difference? Where? How? This is an excellent invitation for further investigation into your own experience.

Thank you for the beautiful reply to my beginners mind and curiosity. I saw and realised that I had missed to respond to this. I’m into great experience every new day. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

How wonderful! ?

• Members
Posted

I tot meditation shouldn't be an issued to me. I learn qi gong but many years ago. Fact, most of the time during my 1st meditation, my brain unable to focus.. I get headaches when I get myself focus.... i get more tenses. Once i relax... I fall into sleep..

Let continue to on my 2nd meditation today.

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-16 at 8.07.45 PM.jpeg

• Members
Posted

I normally do loving kindness meditation in the morning, and decided to gift myself this 8 week course to change up my practice. I was surprised in the body scan how much tension I have in my body that's gone unnoticed. There were point in the meditation that felt so slow and challenging to focus, but overall it went by so fast and I was incredibly de-stressed after.

• Members
Posted

I am gifting myself this course as well. Today is day 2 of week 1 for me. I am also noticing tension I had not been as aware of. I notice the frequency of thoughts and the content of them which pull me away from being focussed on the body scan as well as having a mindful moment.  I tried to be present and just enjoy putting on makeup this morning. Never noticed how nice the brush feels on an eyelid, etc. 

• Members
Posted

At first I found my mind wandering quite a bit but have gotten used to bringing my focus back to the body. I definitely find it easier starting at the head and moving down the body. I have noticed tension in my stomach that I wasn’t aware of before. Finding it very relaxing now. I could easily have drifted off to sleep today.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

I just started the course. I have tried some meditation before and body scan meditation in the past. But I have found that coming into this week's formal practice having watched the videos and read the articles prior to starting the practice really changed my perspective on meditation and the body scan. I used to get so frustrated with the body scan when I would fall asleep in the middle of it or expect that I would progress along my body with the guide without darting from point to point at times. With the videos and readings under my belt, I've really taken to the 'have no expectations' and Shauna Shapiro's note of 'what you practice grows stronger.' I really appreciate that video for teaching me to not water judgement about a meditation session. Now, if I fall asleep during a body scan practice, I find meaning in that - maybe I need more rest, maybe I found some relaxation that I needed. I'm thankful for those moments and for being able to be excited about meditation again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

i have just completed all of week one im starting to feal more mindfull 

• Members
Posted

I just finished the videos and readings for the first week. I connected with Shauna Shapiro's story, as I've also had spinal fusion. I started practicing  yoga shortly after my surgery almost 15 years ago and tend to gravitate toward guided breath meditations or body scans when meditating. One thing that I took away from "The Body Scan Meditation" text is that mindfulness, or awareness, may help to separate the sensation of pain from the thoughts and emotions associated with the pain, leading to a sense of liberation from the pain. As someone who suffers from the effects of chronic pain, I appreciate how Jon put into words how I often feel after completing a body scan. I've tried Kristin Neff's Compassionate Body Scan but not the others, so I'm excited to give them a try this week.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

I've just finished week 1 and forgot to introduce myself! I've done an in-person 4-week course a few years ago as part of treatment for depression and have been using 'Finding Peace in a Frantic World' to try and meditate regularly by myself for several years. Mindfulness practice was possibly the best treatment out of all the many things I've tried, but I'm not good at keeping up with it alone! I've recently had a diagnosis of adult ADHD and started on medication - I joined this course hoping it would give me more structure and commitment to practice, and so far it has done that! I've not missed a day yet. My first day of the Body Scan was also my first day of medication, and I was amazed that I could actually sit for 30 mins and spend more time in quiet wonder than angry/anxious rumination. I noticed getting distracted sometimes but think I was able to come back to the body without stressing out about it. Now I'm getting used to medication, the familiar inner chaos is returning more strongly and I find myself drifting away from the narration and getting lost sometimes - but I guess it's not meant to be all easy and angels singing!

• Members
Posted

I was skeptical about having an body scan through the internet, however, once I settled into the processes and was very pleased how much it impacted me. after week one I feel much more relaxed and have been replaying the scans as I have time. Today while I was driving and walking i "noticed" where I was with my body and mind, and had some nice opportunities to be present and see things  that I have missed in the past .

Posted

It is wonderful to read your different experiences and I really connect with what you all are saying. The bodyscan is different each day. This quote by Heraclitus came to mind when I was pondering on that.

“No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.”

Heraclitus

• Members
Posted

Hi,

I found the body scans to be very relaxing.  I enjoy doing them and feel that they bring a sense of calmess to my day the more consistently I practice.

• 1 month later...
Posted

Welcome @Asha2941,

I am looking forward to reading more about your journey with MBSR ?

Posted

Happy to hear! ☺️

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

I found that I enjoyed body scan meditation more when I do it on my own without the audio guidance. The audio guidance by Jon Kabat-Zinn was the only one that did not bring thoughts and feelings of impatience and frustration. I realized that "refocusing my vision" cues me into going back to the moment, so I often open my eyes or shift my eyes to refocus. Practicing an hour before bedtime has been convenient. I was even surprised to realize one night that the desire to give myself time to practice was stronger than skipping for the day.