MBSR - general and technical questions

Ni****

Posted

@Jyopre Thank you for your question.
I am interested to hear some more details around that question. Could you talk about that a bit?

Generally speaking, I think MBSR has enormous potential in supporting woman also during their menopause. Being aware of changes and reading the signs your body sends are vital parts of MBSR. So if we are aware of the changes and needs in our bodies and minds, we become aware of how to support our bodies and minds best.

• Members
Posted

Hi Tine, thanks for your interest, ya I can go on and on for this topic ...it is interesting that how during pregnancy people notice our emotions and go overboard on giving us idea and all but when it come to menopause no one kind of give shit about it...the one sentence we always hear is hay we went through same but nothing happened, or what’s big deal about it...even the bigger symptoms goes unnoticed ...the reality is no one knows what it is...to go through it when symptoms are just killing you ...yet you can’t explain what’s going on cause nothing is seen... from outside you just look fine smiling and doing work, hiding everything inside feelings ...emotions cause you don’t want to get the label of drama queen...who just cry for every single thing ...also its hard to explain no-one wants to give time for it ...

But let me tell menopause is  serious, very hurting and painful not just physically but much more mentally...it can rock your world completely....

In my case I was having symptoms which I didn’t new even existed and related to menopause until I completely paused and came back normal but for past 3 years its rocking me from all directions...was having symptoms like electric shocks which I came to know now is one of the symptom but when it first happened I was worried not knowing how to even explain to anyone what is happening....I thought mu body was taken over by someone ..and it was just the starting taken over by anxiety and so on ...

Recently while doing MBSR I was thinking if it could be explained in  some videos on how we can incorporate it with Menopause and heal not just the person who is suffering but also educate the people around them ...

Sorry its long reply but it’s really taking life’s away....so its close to my heart...cause I am still misunderstood for what happened with me cause of Menopause...

Kind regards

Posted

In my opinion, your post here in the forum is already one part of the solution, that is, awareness and open conversations. Your reply @Jyopre and starting the conversation is much appreciated.

Awareness, education and honest communication is such a crucial part of healing and support. Many issues, just like menopause, are swiped under the rug. The woman going through these experiences then feel the need to keep them to themselves as they feel alone and separated, while many share the struggle. In the case of menopause, it's all woman. (That's just crazy - it's all women, and yet we end up feeling alone?)
Menstrual pains are a similar issue. Women have Endometriosis and go undiagnosed for years because we - and that includes doctors too - are not aware and educated enough, and it gets dismissed as the woman being whiny.

Coming back to the initial topic of MBSR and menopause. I think MBSR can help us be aware and honest with our bodily and mental changes and challenges we go through during menopause.
This connection can not only help us be aware of what we need and what's going on but when we rest in a clear relationship with our body, it's easier for us to insist on getting - and deserving! - the support we need, be it from doctors or families and friends.
I also realised that with MBSR, I am more equipped to change my communication patterns consciously. One example that comes to mind is talking with the kids in the supermarket about pads, cups and tampons. Not in a hushed voice that would teach them that this topic is something to be ashamed of, but in the same casual tone, I would talk about dinner plans.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I totally agree with you Tine, awareness is very important.....even the women we know closely won’t open about it and that’s where the problem arise...it’s tough and also our healthcare people sometimes just put it all on stress or its normal kinda thing...this needs to change and we all need to learn on how to communicate about it strongly...

And you are absolutely right our kids needs to know so it doesn’t remain a taboo anymore..

Coming back to MBSR it very strong subject itself and if we incorporate it with Menopause  then it has the capacity to change first us as a women to feel strong about this topic so we can come up and discuss ...thank you Tine so much for moving this conversation forward it’s much appreciated cause this is the topic which is  hurting so many lives in so many different ways...it can’t be described....

kind regards

Jo

Edited by Jyopre
Posted

I am grateful for this conversation. Thank you. :-)

To put a twist on a famous saying by Laotzi

"Change of a thousand minds begins with a single conversation"

• Members
Posted

Thank you  for keeping this discussion alive much appreciated ..will definitely change mind ...as it is much needed.

Thanks so much for wonderful gift..

Kind regards