PTSD and Anxiety in post-divorce relationship

Bb****

• Members
Posted

,After divorcing my spouse of 25 years, I became increasingly aware of the impact his behavior during the last phase of our marriage had on me. It caused symptoms of anxiety and PTSD (not from physical abuse) which became worse after beginning to date again. Symptoms did not worsen because of lack of effort as I work hard to grow from this.  Difficulties worsened as my dating relationship became more serious. The relationship is great. Yet the anxiety and PTSD are more prevalent now even though the relationship I am in is healthy. Wondering if others have experienced this and how you dealt with anxious thoughts and PTSD triggers.  

Posted

Thank you for sharing this, I think it's common to carry anxiety and PTSD from a past relationship, but not everyone is able to come to terms with or acknowledge that, so you are already on the right path

I entered a new, healthy relationship with some baggage from a previous, less healthy one, and it's not always easy to keep in mind that it's not the same person nor the same relationship. I think what helped me was to be open with my new partner about how my previous relationship had been and what situations might still make me a bit anxious. 

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing what other people say too ?

• Members
Posted

Thank you so much Lizzie. My new partner and I discuss the anxiety being triggered by baggage from the previous relationship. However, I am still learning to recognize and acknowledge the specific cause of and what lies beneath those triggers. For example, it's easy to connect what I believe to be inconsistencies in his words or behaviors to me believing (temporarily) that he is lying which leads to more anxious, irrational thoughts that I challenge until I am functioning in my rational brain again where I can sort things out. What I need to work on is why I feel so anxious or what fears I have that allow myself to be triggered so deeply.  Definately welcome feedback from others.