Week 2 formal practice: Sitting Meditation

Tine

Posted

The main topic in week 2  is perception and creative responding: How we perceive the world and ourselves

During the sitting meditation, we allow ourselves to be curious about our perception to fully listen to ourselves. We practice stepping back, watching the breath while the bodily sensations, thoughts and emotions roll through us. Our thoughts, emotions and body sensations tell us many stories and give us hints that are of great value when navigating the physical as well as the emotional and intellectual world when we are able to consciously watch them and see them as such. Only when we are aware of how we perceive things do we get the freedom to choose our response instead of an automatic reaction.

I'd love to hear about your experience while watching your breath during the sitting meditation. Experiences during the bodyscan can be shared here and are much appreciated as well.

During the sitting meditation, I often hear my thoughts telling me all the things I should be doing right now. Once those things are done, I can still sit around and do nothing. Those thoughts can be loud and convincing. That's one reason why group meditations are so important to me. During a group sitting - even online - I will not walk away, knowing that I get into a deeper state of meditation as it's easier to leave my nagging thought behind.

After many years of meditation, I still struggle with that voice. If I didn't meditate for some time, it gets much harder to get back into it, and I struggle with those thoughts more. Once I am back into a daily routine it becomes much easier. I think this is comparable to doing some sort of sports on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

My experience in sitting meditation at first it was hard to do it alone but by practicing over and over again, you'll get used to it. I can focus more if l am doing it in my bedroom. I started last year and it really help me concentrate with my studies and it is good stress reliever too. When I meditate, I choose the time when my roommate and neighbor is at work. When they make noise, it will take time for me to focus. Time and place is very important for me to do my meditation.

Posted

Yes, @drawoH14311 time and place are crucial, and so is doing it regularly. Especially having a routine made it way easier for me to overcome the mental barrier of actually sitting and having a dedicated quiet place where you won't be interrupted is bonus and helpful.

I realised that rather than being interrupted, it's the anticipation of being interrupted. Even at home when I am alone, but I know that someone could come into the house, not even the room I stay somewhat "alarmed". On the other hand, I am now quite good to meditate on the bus or a train despite the interruptions and noise.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

week 2 sitting meditations,    experiences,    quite a good one for me, as i always sit outside in the sunshine, when i can, and sungaze,   communing with nature,     listening to the birds wind in the trees, and letting the sunlight, and breeze merge with me, filling me with light and energy,  cleansing my energies, it is while i sit in the sunlight, meditating, that, i get important activations, downloads and visions, through the suns rays, and solar spots,  often seeing images.   my only problem with this meditation, is fidgeting, alot due to insects, and itches, smiles, 

• Members
Posted

Keep on falling asleep, waking up and refocusing.  Tomorrow I will try in a sitting position

• Members
Posted

Week two - day one MBs. Can’t do seated meditation as I have cast and need to elevate foot.cant have it down for more than a couple minutes. Gets removed on Thursday so will Be doing seated after that :) in past before this course when practicing mindfulness I always preferred seated. I am now enjoying lying down as well though, not falling asleep but mind wanders and since completing all week one videos and readings realizing okay yes let it wander, and continue to just bring it back....and that is mindfulness in itself

Is it it just me or has the monkey business got others thinking?‍♀️Part of me is saying it makes so much sense... and the other part is like “hey, you really do need to focus on one thing at a time in your life right now and stop multitasking, and just concentrate....” so now I’m torn between focusing on one thing example just watching a child play, or seeing environment as a whole...adults interacting laughing with them while playing with a kid etc.....

• Members
Posted

For the first time practicing body scan I didn’t fall asleep.  My mind wanders a lot and I need to keep refocusing. 

I am starting to enjoy more focusing on one thing at a time,  giving it my undivided attention.  This is true specially when having a conversation with someone.  Just truly listening without thinking about what I want to say or what I think I should be doing .   Its appreciation to the fullest of the moment and the person.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Day two of week two

I am creating space within every time I practice, and I feel so light during and after! One of my biggest realizations during my practice today was that my nose was itchy and I did not want to give attention to it. Kindly I thanked myself for noticing this and chose to scratch my nose. I then told self that was very mindful, as compared to day to day life—— how many times do we scratch ourselves perhaps and not even know we are itchy or that we scratched ourself!! 
?

Edited by Kelsey
  • Members
Posted

Day three- being kind to self in meditation practices, relieving any tension I am finding.

• Members
Posted

Yesterday day 3- practiced mindfulness and pleasant event while in hot tub yesterday, shower, with my spiritual practice being in body. Really brought so much joy into my life yesterday and the day flew by! 

day 4 (week two) 

MBS practice- I love the feelings of creating so much space that it feels my body does not exist! Had a hard time “focusing” for the first while but eventually I noticed that I rigged and brought self back to body! Magical

• Members
Posted

Did the sitting meditation.  All started well.  No difficulties focusing on my breath.  It wasn’t until later in the process that my mind started to think of other things and had to constantly refocus. Also, started to experience discomfort with sitting for so long.  Body aches and just getting tired of sitting.  At this point it was harder to focus on my breath. 

• Members
Posted

I find it harder to focus as the session goes on too. Just keep refocusing on the breath. I am finding taking the course has helped with the discipline of meditating every day.  I expect the focusing will get easier too. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

This is going to sound ridiculous (part of it anyway) but here goes.  I am recovering from an injury and sitting is difficult.  I often choose to meditate lying down.  Sometimes with my feet on the floor (knees bent), sometimes fully lying.  One of the ways I chose to connect with my breath was to put a pillow on my stomach - I could watch it rise and fall with a lowered gaze and I found it really helpful in returning my focus to the breath when my mind would wander.  

Edited by KKPinkowski
  • Members
Posted

I normally sit in meditation every day. This year in May I decided that I am a westerner and as much as I am a yoga teacher I do not have to sit crossed legs when I meditate. I now sit comfortably on a chair with my feet well grounded on the floor. This was one of the best decision of this year. I find that my practice got better, I find it easier to concentrate, connect with my breath and in general be more mindful. Maybe is just a self-convincing strategy. Whatever the case, it works and that's all that counts.

Posted
On 12/5/2019 at 10:06 PM, KKPinkowski said:

This is going to sound ridiculous (part of it anyway) but here goes.  I am recovering from an injury and sitting is difficult.  I often choose to meditate lying down.  Sometimes with my feet on the floor (knees bent), sometimes fully lying.  One of the ways I chose to connect with my breath was to put a pillow on my stomach - I could watch it rise and fall with a lowered gaze and I found it really helpful in returning my focus to the breath when my mind would wander.  

This is such a helpful tip. Thank you!

What you @KKPinkowski and @xochi wrote also shows something essential: You are the expert of yourself, and you know the difference between "cheating"/ choosing comfort and altering the practice in a way that works best for you and your unique situation. 

I think I might start a new topic on "cheating" the practice versus "choosing what works best for you".

Edit: Here's the link to that thread:

• Members
Posted

I tried the sitting meditation for the first time today. I nearly passed out. I got horribly uncomfortable. I was light headed. I had to slouch and open my eyes. I was in physical pain. I felt like vomiting. Lasted about 5-10 min. And then I could sit straight again. I'm thinking i might need to try it in my rocking chair. No, I'm really quite young but i hate the passing out feeling.  Any advice from anyone on what i should do? Should I stick with the passing out feeling? Or should I try to make it more bearable. I want meditation to be something i can do for the long run. So I think the rocking chair for now. But I really want advice.

Posted

That's a very interesting reaction. Has it happened to you before? When you sit still in daily life, I mean. Or do you think it was triggered by something else?

• Members
Posted
Find a comfortable place, you can't meditate effectively in pain or discomfort. Use cushions, try laying down, but it has to work for you.
  • Members
Posted (edited)

I agree you don't need to be sitting to meditate, just go with what ever is comfortable to you while meditating. If that means laying down etc and it feels good, do that.

Edited by Cos
  • Members
Posted
You may simply need to consider the time of day that you practice ...empty stomach or bedtime for example
Posted
11 hours ago, Sany said:

You may simply need to consider the time of day that you practice ...empty stomach or bedtime for example

Yes, thank you @Sany those are more things to consider.

There's so much potential for understanding ourselves better. Some feelings in the tummy might be connected to being hungry or full or having eaten something that doesn't agree with us too well, it might as well be an emotion or thought manifesting in the body like excitement or stress. So many messages to decipher ... so much potential :-)

• Members
Posted

You all are so helpful!!!! Thank you so much!!! I thought I had to do it perfect. Thank you for giving suggestions. Means a lot to me :)

• Members
Posted

Hi, I am on day 2 of week 2 and I am really struggling with the sit down meditation. I find my mind is wondering loads in the quiet parts of the meditation. With the body scan meditation my mind felt more focused on the words, but with this one the monkey mind is more obvious to me. I know that the point is just to be aware of thoughts without judgement and bring the mind back to my breath, but I found it really interesting. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Awaken_within_with_a said:

Hi, I am on day 2 of week 2 and I am really struggling with the sit down meditation. I find my mind is wondering loads in the quiet parts of the meditation. With the body scan meditation my mind felt more focused on the words, but with this one the monkey mind is more obvious to me. I know that the point is just to be aware of thoughts without judgement and bring the mind back to my breath, but I found it really interesting. 

Gratulations! Becoming aware of the monkey mind is such a huge and important lesson.

Another one is that thoughts are real but they are not necessarily true. I find that the louder my thoughts claim to tell the truth the more they are based on assumtions which are based on nothing...