Happiness without money

su****

• Members
Posted
Yes. Right.. money is the top thing to generate happiness. Without them nobody is gonna help. People stay connected only by money power.
Money is only nothing for those who is truly spiritual and can live alone to any situation where people don't matter for them.
Before abuse or lecture for money, earn too much money.
💰
  • Members
Posted
17 minutes ago, Tine said:

How much is enough?

That depends on the situation.

If somebody asks me, how much money I earn or have, I answer: "Enough.", because to me, enough means to be able to pay your monthly duties, like rent, energy, internet, food, to be able to go to a restaurant when you want and still have some money to put aside.

This means, a a guy earning 1 000 000 whatever currency a year, but spending >= 1000 000 a year, doesn't have enough money.

And a guy, who earns 1000 whatever currency a month, only needing 900 to live, has enough money.

Posted

What I am pointing at is that 3 people in the same country earning the same amount might have very different ideas if it's enough or not. Some might have a family, or an expensive hobby or supporting their parents.

And I am not suggesting that any of it is right or wrong, better or worse. It's a very personal and important inquiry that can also foster a lot of growth. What do I "need" and why, for whom? I would even say our personal "enough" is a journey, what has value for us is a journey - a journey that might get us to explore what really makes us happy.

Another question to investigate in that context might be the term value. What do we value and why? Is it a car, friendship, holidays, honesty, ...?

Posted

Perhaps happiness is not in money, but with money a person feels much better, calmer. In addition, it is an opportunity to fulfill your dreams, so for me, money is the path to happiness. To earn more, I started betting. I always look to make a profitable bet and make a good profit. I chose basketball because I'm good at this sport.

• Members
Posted

I went for share holding. And sure money is important.

I just can't get rid of the thought that there are people out there, who can't afford happiness and that's pretty sad.

• Members
Posted

Perhaps happiness is not in money, but with money a person feels much better, calmer. In addition, it is an opportunity to fulfill your dreams, so for me, money is the path to happiness. 

• Members
Posted
Money is a tool and as such should probably be kept in the garage with the rest of the tools. It's there when you need it, but should not be the focus of your life. Everybody needs some, but it isn't having it that is so important as it is what you do with it.
  • Members
Posted

A basic amount of money is a necessary condition for happiness, but money alone doesn't trigger happiness.

Triggers for happiness can be success, an evening with friends, family, ... it depends on the person.

• Members
Posted
24 minutes ago, xaf208 said:

Actually I don't feel that money is an absolute necessity either. If you have the skills you can meet all of your needs from nature, much as our ancient ancestors did. Money is actually only required in order to live within modern society.

That's an interesting thought.

Without modern society there is no money, but there are things equal to money.
Like property and work.
And if you don't have much property like a place you are able to defend, or food you picked up before others did, you can still be poor and sad.

• Members
Posted
You can have a million dollars and still be sad too.
  • Members
Posted

That's absolutely right.

• Members
Posted
On 4/10/2022 at 8:04 AM, xaf208 said:

Money is a tool and as such should probably be kept in the garage with the rest of the tools. It's there when you need it, but should not be the focus of your life. Everybody needs some, but it isn't having it that is so important as it is what you do with it.

This should be on the door of every financial institution 

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

“Now that's not buying happiness. That's just buying off unhappiness.”  - Psycho, Alfred Hitchcock 

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Posted
On 3/29/2022 at 9:20 AM, Tine said:

I agree with "Money doesn't make you happy"

However I also think that a complete lack of money as in "you won't be able to get treatment when you get sick" or "you can't afford a place to live or something to eat" isn't going to make you happy either.

Another thing about society in many places is that simply "hanging out" will cost you some money as you'll have to pay for a tea or coffee just to be able to sit somewhere and hanging out some place else might get you in trouble for loitering. Libraries are one of the rare places where you can comfortably sit in the warmth for free and I am sure there are places where you can't just get in either.

So my conclusion is that a lack of money can surely make you unhappy and a small basis of security through money might help being happy. The big question for me is "How much is enough?" Are you content with your old clothes - they are in a good shape but out of fashion or do you have to follow the latest trend? And if you do - for whom?

I totally agree with your message because money can make our life easier but can't make us happier!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2022 at 9:20 AM, Tine said:

I agree with "Money doesn't make you happy"

However I also think that a complete lack of money as in "you won't be able to get treatment when you get sick" or "you can't afford a place to live or something to eat" isn't going to make you happy either.

Another thing about society in many places is that simply "hanging out" will cost you some money as you'll have to pay for a tea or coffee just to be able to sit somewhere and hanging out some place else might get you in trouble for loitering. Libraries are one of the rare places where you can comfortably sit in the warmth for free and I am sure there are places where you can't just get in either.

So my conclusion is that a lack of money can surely make you unhappy and a small basis of security through money might help being happy. The big question for me is "How much is enough?" Even if you don't have much money on your card you can always find a service where you could get those 💰 easily, on internet for example or in your local bank. Are you content with your old clothes - they are in a good shape but out of fashion or do you have to follow the latest trend? And if you do - for whom?

I also wanted to add that money is playing huge role in our life but we need to understand that our happiness is not depended on it.

Edited by StuartForeman
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

No, money doesn't make people happy, but it's a fact that it's so much better having it than not. Having enough money to not have to worry about your basic needs being met can free up your time and energy to focus on other things, like your relationships or your career. And of course, being able to buy nice things for yourself or your loved ones can be enjoyable. There is one thing though about not having enough money that can, in a way, be perceived as good. Not having enough money can be a great motivational factor that can even affect a person on a deeper level and make them more ambitious. 

Once you experience it, you never want to go through it again. That said, it can be that one thing that makes a difference. For example, occasional marketing projects on Fiverr, driving an Uber, or teaching another language online are completely okay if you're willing to settle on simply getting by. It's a completely different story when you're starting your own business, in this case, it could be a social media marketing agency, an e-commerce business, or even opening your own online language school. Being without money can be a lesson that will make us set higher goals and try to earn more, to make sure we can save some and still be okay if things go down the hill again. But at the end of the day, it's not the money that makes people happy – it's what they do with their lives that counts. 

• Members
Posted

Good to see people still commenting on this post. I'm glad, there are so many opinions about this topic shared here.

I think another important factor is how you got the money.

When people are just given lots of money by their families without having to work for it, it can influence them in a bad way. They learn to get anything they want without having to work for it, so they waste money for stuff they don't really need and once the money is gone, they have a huge problem.

On the other hand, earning money yourself and buying something you really want can make you really happy.

So a won medal is a lot more valuable than one you are given for no reason, because you earned it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted
On 3/28/2022 at 1:34 PM, suedseefrucht said:

Some rich people say: "Money doesn't make you happy" and I think it's true but can you make friends and can you become happy without spending money?

I would like to read some ideas.

My thoughts so far:

You need money to meet people in a sports club, you need money to meet friends for dinner and you need money to buy tools for your favorite hobby.

Proof me wrong.

Nature is free :) Find a tree and look at its tiny details, look at the tiny creatures for which that single tree is a whole world. This kind of thing always keeps me happy. Maybe I'm slightly strange though.... :D