Week 1 formal practice: Body Scan

Tine

Posted

I actually have a hard time to read the body scan meditation text until the end. I always fall asleep (almost) . It's the best relaxation. When I have difficulties to sleep a good body scan helps me to find rest. But usually I start also from the head and go down to the toes. I'm wondering why it's shown quite often the other way around starting from the toes and going up. Is it more beneficial? I also tried a variation with progressive muscle relaxation. But this feels quite hard  as the whole body was actively involved, different from the body scan meditation that I perceive more passively. I also need to be focussed much more. But there is less risk for me to fall asleep. 

• Members
Posted

Specifically, a "compassionate" body scan, was my gateway to loving myself...

Posted
2 hours ago, Bzzzzzzzzt said:

Specifically, a "compassionate" body scan, was my gateway to loving myself...

This is so true. Compassion is such a powerful ingredient.

• 1 month later...
Posted
56 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

I’ve just done my first one, I was ok til half way through when I got bored. I just noticed my boredom and then wondered what the point of it was and thought perhaps it will make me more aware of my body so that I can respond to it better. Then I was able to join back in as I saw the point of it. It was like one part of me having a conversation with another part of me. Interesting 

This is such an insightful post. Where you realized a thought as such. A thought "this is boring", "this has no point" is only that. It's real but it's not necessarily true and by realizing your thoughts and emotions as such you open up to new possibilities in your response.

• Members
Posted

Hi! This exercise for me was also slow to begin with especially lying down. When I did lie down, I could already feel the tension in my lower back. I would have to refocus my attention to the rest of my body following along with the meditation. What I did learn is that doing the body scan, it calmed me down, helped me to focus and center my mind and literally feel my body. 

I also enjoy the simple awareness exercise because it literally is staying present in the one activity you're doing. I've done it where I drive to work in silence and just focus on my driving and the sounds. I have washed dishes just washing. Also, just taking breathes and knowing that it is life -the breath- helps me to remember to live by breathing. 

I also agree that sitting meditation is what I've done more of, so that seems to work. Neverthless, I will work on the body scan. There are benefits to it. I love that with Mindfulness there is no judgment, just being and existing with what is now.

• Members
Posted

I started the MBSR course today!   

I just completed the 30 minute body scan.  I love body scan practices - they are very relaxing and help me to become more aware of what is happening on the inside. However, during the body scan this morning, I experienced restlessness and many thoughts. I also fell asleep at the right knee! I was happy to get in at least 10 minutes?.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

As part of the recommendation for the MBSR online course, I completed the 33 minutes Body Scan video. I noticed I felt more relaxed and a deeper sense of space pressed gently on my heart as the meditation approached 20 minutes.  I checked the time because I had to refocus on listening.  I am aware of awareness as each body part is called out and connected. Simple yet beautiful. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Self said:

As part of the recommendation for the MBSR online course, I completed the 33 minutes Body Scan video. I noticed I felt more relaxed and a deeper sense of space pressed gently on my heart as the meditation approached 20 minutes.  I checked the time because I had to refocus on listening.  I am aware of awareness as each body part is called out and connected. Simple yet beautiful. 

Thank you for your contribution. An essential part of the MBSR course is sharing and hearing about other peoples experiences. Such a wide range and so much beauty, connection and insight is gained by the different viewpoints of the same practice.

• Members
Posted

week 1 day 1  33 min bodyscan experience ,     i suffer with cfs and fibro,  so this is a much needed meditation, that i should and will do much more often, as i rarely look at  or work on my own body and energy... ( well not since 2012) i have a kind of xray vision can see the skeleton muscles etc, also, the colours of the chakras, energy and energetic implements that show me were the problems are...     i noticed my charkas, are quite dim,  throughout my energy bodies, so need to work on those .. my heart chakra was light and bright healthy green with a image of a celtic cross with white light shining through in beams and rays  like around, like a window...    the dark dim energy in my left side giving me pain, feels like an Inpatient irritation,  emotionally...in my root chakra feet ankles,   the ligaments behind my knees are a sickly yellowish  torn scratched and overstretched.....   dark red in my hips area,.. ovaries felt tight and heavy,... left lung shrivelled, spinal column, knotted and twisted,....  rusty looking crystals in my shoulder joints... back of neck dim blue, dark knot  ...dim but nice shade of purple for third eye and good for crown,   felt tingling all over like cobwebs touching me, as my energy scanned my body..  as i was breathing was like i was sipping fresh water through a straw at every breath.

• Members
Posted

Also for the record the one completed today was the suggested 33 minutes video ?

• Members
Posted

Day two- MBS 20 min video went better. It’s as if I fall asleep for a few second and then when I awake I can’t recall where my mind just was and then am focused on the next area of my body as guided by the voice... so weird!! Feeling relaxed and little tension identified today.

• Members
Posted

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum.  Glad to be part of this journey with you all.  I've been meditating for a few years with random guided meditations on you tube, but hope through this might be able to move past just the awareness to being able to move forward with goals and maintain a middle ground instead of the rollercoaster of emotions. Meditation, drumming and yoga so far, has kept me sane in a midlife reevaluating time.  Thanks so much and blessings!

• Members
Posted

Day 3: Didn’t leave my bed until I did the MBS by JKZ. I know doing these first thing in the morning are beneficial to my mind and body, and evidentially I was most present today out of the past 3 days likely because I did it first thing in AM, not mid day. Some wandering thoughts about what I could make for dinner, a couple thoughts of work, but they did not last long, was able to notice them and bring self back to body and breathe.

K

• Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Day 3: Didn’t leave my bed until I did the MBS by JKZ. I know doing these first thing in the morning are beneficial to my mind and body, and evidentially I was most present today out of the past 3 days likely because I did it first thing in AM, not mid day. Some wandering thoughts about what I could make for dinner, a couple thoughts of work, but they did not last long, was able to notice them and bring self back to body and breathe.

K

My first time doing the bodyscan and felt different feelings and  thoughts through out.  There were times I fell asleep for what I believe were a minute or two.  Other times I was fully awake paying attention.  Other times got bored and thought about  things I needed to get done  during the day. Then went back to paying attention.  I felt relaxed most o the time.  Found it hard to be fully present for the entire length of the exercise.

• Members
Posted

week 1, bodyscan meditations, worked on my chakras, and body parts that needed healing, found out the celtic cross window in my heart chakra, was a bone x marking the spot of a galatic dna, portal upgrades, stored within my skeletal energy system, which during this 11.11. full moon and samhain, energies, have now been activated, and are processing. smiles, 

• Members
Posted

Day 4: mbs

Today I felt my body relax a lot more, often by the end of doing a MBs I cannot feel my body and consciously need to move if I have discomfort. Today I noticed a little unbalance with the right side of body which makes sense as I have a left foot cast currently. Also some tension to work through in shoulders. 

K

• Members
Posted

Another day doing the bodyscan and was not much different than the first time.  Was able to focus at times but not others. Fell asleep too.  Going to try doing it in the morning and see if the experience is different.  I do enjoy the practice but want to get better at it .  

• Members
Posted

Day 3 ,  I’m enjoying the body scan more.  Felt more relaxed.  Drifted mentally several times so kept refocusing.   Right now I can’t remember what I was thinking off when my mind would drift.  I think this time it felt better because I didn’t go into it with any expectation and I didn’t judge my performance at all.   I just enjoyed the moment 

• Members
Posted

Day 5 - yesterday and what I wrote in my reflection is that it was too short. I have already did the three videos and began duplicating them so chose one online. I think 20 minutes at least is needed for me! 

day 6- today  

Just did that one, and I liked it but got a bit distracted , so listened to it again. 
really like the part comparing to a prisoner of feelings, and once relaxed the bars come down and feelings are able to be released. We don’t need to trap emotions, and certainly need to confront them and release! 
body is very calm currently!!

• Members
Posted

All I can say is WOW!!! This exercise was amazing. I did the required video by Dave Potter and later moved on to Emma Reynold's video. I did this exercising laying down. I noticed my body is not aligned properly. My right elbow and shoulders have a hard time straightening or laying down flat. I constantly had to push throughout the two videos. All and all, it was extremely relaxing. I did this exercise in my room, where I find serenity.