What kind of food to avoid for weight loss

Au****

Posted

Definitely agree with Candy! ?? 

There is no magic trick to weight loss. Basically it comes down to the balance between the energy we consume (the food we eat) and the energy we use up (exercise and moving your body). To loses weight you want to use/burn more than you consume, and the best way is to find a healthy lifestyle that works for you long term, instead of starting a crazy diet.

Personally, I recommend staying away from processed foods, reading the ingredients list on food items you buy, and try to eat wholesome, natural, clean foods the majority of the time. Look for added sugar in juices, yogurts, sauces, bread etc. Cut back on sugar, fast food, and other items that are not healthy for your body. And, cooking you meals yourself instead of eating out / ordering take out gives you better control of what you're consuming.

I would however like to add that I think it's important to keep a good balance in life - sometimes we want to eat a piece of cake because it makes us happy, and that's ok too! 

Posted

A tip I can add is looking at the calorie density of your food. Compare the number of calories in the foods you eat per 100g. Tomatoes, for example, have a low calorie density with 18 calories per 100g while cheddar cheese has 400. Only consume the ones with a high calorie density in small quantities.
Highly processed food usually has a high calorie density, but so have avocados and olive oil. Mix things up. Instead of filling up on a whole pizza, take a slice and add a cucumber tomato salad with salt, pepper, oregano, and just a sprinkle of olive oil to it. Equally as filling, equally as tasty and fewer calories. ?

• Members
Posted

Sugar and alcohol. All the sweet things in the supermarket that are processed. Good to have a treat once in awhile, but stay away from them for weight loss

• Members
Posted

I believe our minds are the most powerful tool we have within ourselves to make permanent, long lasting weight changes,,( for that matter any change).  Because of that, for me, getting crystal clear on why I want the weight loss is key.  After that, guiding myself towards a path of choosing better quality foods, as well as exercise (as someone already pointed out) are essential.  I mean making an entire “identity change” about who we are, based on the identity I want, must be a permanent, continue repeating behavior for the rest of our lives.  It’s not the “goal of losing 20,30,or more pounds that keeps us motivated and remaining with a healthy weight loss.  It is who we become by losing the weight, or making the big changes.  My family history, my young adult friends, even my enemies would have predicted based on my past behaviors(which included 2 powerful addictions), I would be in prison, deceased, or in terrible physical health. However, today, I am drug, tobacco, and alcohol free.  We stay consistent with who we believe we are, and choosing to make powerful identity changes, by deciding what we value most in life MUST BE absolute paramount.  

Posted
12 hours ago, Time4abrea said:

I believe our minds are the most powerful tool we have within ourselves to make permanent, long lasting weight changes,,( for that matter any change).  Because of that, for me, getting crystal clear on why I want the weight loss is key.  After that, guiding myself towards a path of choosing better quality foods, as well as exercise (as someone already pointed out) are essential.  I mean making an entire “identity change” about who we are, based on the identity I want, must be a permanent, continue repeating behavior for the rest of our lives.  It’s not the “goal of losing 20,30,or more pounds that keeps us motivated and remaining with a healthy weight loss.  It is who we become by losing the weight, or making the big changes.  My family history, my young adult friends, even my enemies would have predicted based on my past behaviors(which included 2 powerful addictions), I would be in prison, deceased, or in terrible physical health. However, today, I am drug, tobacco, and alcohol free.  We stay consistent with who we believe we are, and choosing to make powerful identity changes, by deciding what we value most in life MUST BE absolute paramount.  

I couldn't agree more! Well done on your sobriety and on how far you've come. I agree that the mind is the most powerful tool, but sometimes it can also be the most detrimental.