MBSR - general and technical questions

Ni****

Posted
Hello Nic, i believe you have to scroll inside that 7 myths of meditation document. You may have scrolled far on the right of your browser window. Could you have a try? For me that works well. Let me know if that works. Enjoy the course and have a great day ;)
  • Members
Posted

Hi again!

I've just come on to do week 2 and I'm at the sitting meditation article. Again, I seem to only have half an article?  It finishes where it says "fingers touching". I've tried scrolling and that's all there is on my page? 

Is that the end of the article? It can't be as it doesn't make sense? Can anyone point me in the right direction of the complete article please?

Thank you x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Here's the space to ask questions that are not about the subject of the course but general or technical problems you might have with the course.

You can also contact us via the helpcenter or send me a private message.

Posted

Screenshot(74).png

Here we have 2 scrollbars. One for the site and one for the document itself. Please check moving both. If you still have problems you can comment here or contact us in a private message or via the helpcenter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

I managed to finish the course work for week 7, but couldn't find the practice to be done.  I've been a bit distracted at work from COVID-19, so gave up looking for it.  Any quick links that I haven't been able to find, as week 7 stretches into its third week?

• 1 month later...
Posted

Being patient and compassionate with yourself changes so much! Glad to hear you are showing yourself love and acceptance ?

Posted

@Kingdomaire I too realised that in most situations of suffering, my thoughts and reactions were what caused the suffering in the first place...

Like you, I learned the importance of self compassion and patience and it's a wonderful thing! I'm working through a Byron Katie book called "I need your love - is that true?" and it gives a very practical yet profound workaround for dealing with thoughts. It's been a great help to me.

I think that self-love, patience and acceptance of ourselves as we are are some of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves and those around us, and I'm so happy to hear that many of us are doing just that. Thank you for sharing

• Members
Posted

Hi All,

I encountered the same issue as NicH. Some of the articles seemed to end abruptly at page-1. I realized that this was happening on my Ipad but not on my laptop.

It may be the same case for others as well. The embedded PDFs do not seem to render properly on some mobile devices but they work fine on a computer. Should anyone else encounter this problem, perhaps try opening the page using chrome on a computer. Hope this helps.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'm finishing up week 3, and simply blown away by this incredible resource. Deep bows to everyone that makes this happen!!

A few questions and comments. First, I'm about halfway through the Altered Traits book and I'm really grateful Richie and Dan wrote it. They humbly describe how their observation and testing methods have improved over the decades, and thoroughly describe how difficult it is to quantify states of mind. It's great to see pioneers in the mindfulness field dial back any unwarranted claims about the "mindful" panacea.

Second, is anyone aware of any studies that measure heart activity during meditation (other than simple heart rate)? I've heard that when Richie first measured the brain activity of Tibetan monks they laughed and told him that the the skull monitors were useless cuz the mind is focused in the heart. I feel a ton of energy course through my body during meditation and at the end of 10 day retreats I've actually noticed thoughts be a byproduct of subtle heart activity. I'm aware of heart coherence meditations and the HeartMath Institute, but they seem either too fringe-y or unstudied.

Finally, I'm noticing that so far in the course, there are almost no teachings from POC leaders. Many leaders in the insight meditation field are very active in undoing racism and unconscious bias, including Joseph and Sharon's Insight Meditation Society (where JKZ first thought of MBSR). Mindfulness is particularly useful in uncovering hidden states of mind and it might be good to speak about this type of work, and incorporate its lessons into the structure of the course as well. Apologies if this subject comes up later! I just figured I'd mention it here.

Edited by dawnrobertson
  • Members
Posted
On 4/28/2020 at 4:51 PM, Devashish said:

Hi All,

I encountered the same issue as NicH. Some of the articles seemed to end abruptly at page-1. I realized that this was happening on my Ipad but not on my laptop.

It may be the same case for others as well. The embedded PDFs do not seem to render properly on some mobile devices but they work fine on a computer. Should anyone else encounter this problem, perhaps try opening the page using chrome on a computer. Hope this helps.

hey, I went through the same. I couldn't find even after so much of searching on mobile phone and ipad. Then I decided to check on laptop then and there I got it. I felt quite a relief and happy finding it. I was at the most excited state of being to continue reading and learning. 

Posted

Thank you for sharing ?

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

@Devashish and @Temjen Did you check my answer here in this topic  from the 24th of February? There you find a screenshot where I explain a rather common problem with the two scrollbars that appear sometimes and about which we can't do anything. Let me know it that was it. ?

Posted

Hello @dawnrobertson,

I read altered traits too and the engineer in me really appreciates the scientific approach and how they go into detail really diving into the quality of the studies and the difficulties studying something like meditation.

Thank you for bringing up the lack of BIPOC teachers in this course. I will mention that to Dave Potter who curates the course as we are not directly influencing the content.

However as we are always looking for more teachers and courses for the happiness academy we actively try to encourage diversity. So far the results aren't that good as we didn't have the necessary strong focus from the start, but we are on it!

• Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Tine said:

@Devashish and @Temjen Did you check my answer here in this topic  from the 24th of February? There you find a screenshot where I explain a rather common problem with the two scrollbars that appear sometimes and about which we can't do anything. Let me know it that was it. ?

Yes, @Tine , I could learn to solve this problem after seeing the screenshot and the explanation done by you. I appreciate for your kind explanation for everyone. Thank you ? 

Posted

@Temjen Great! I am happy to hear that it worked ?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

how do i start the course - i dont see any links to lessons apart from the introduction video

Posted

Hey Adisa,

once you have enrolled you can find your course in your dashboard in the academy (dropdown menu top right of the page).
Please let me know if you found it. It´s all there ;)
Have a great day

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Hi, I want to restart the course from the beginning. I had started the course along with the commencement of my MBA, which it turned out, was not one of my best ideas. I ended up with a 2-month gap, and picking up where I had left off does not seem appropriate. Can someone let me know how to reset the progress of the course to start afresh.
Warm regards.   

• 1 month later...
Posted
On 8/13/2020 at 12:37 PM, Devashish said:

Hi, I want to restart the course from the beginning. I had started the course along with the commencement of my MBA, which it turned out, was not one of my best ideas. I ended up with a 2-month gap, and picking up where I had left off does not seem appropriate. Can someone let me know how to reset the progress of the course to start afresh.
Warm regards.   

Dear Devashish,
sorry for the (really) late reply! I totally missed this..

You have 3 Options..

• You simply go through the lessons again, as they are
  • You mark the lessons as incomplete, so they appear as not done (you find the button to mark incomplete on the bottom of each lesson)
  • If you wish, i could unenroll you from the course and you enroll again

Please let me know, if i can help further with this. I hope you enjoy the course, have a great day
warm regards
Bjoern