Ideas for when you're feeling lonely...

Calvin77

Posted

People often think it's only old people that get lonely but as someone that's moved around a lot, I've lived with loneliness as a younger person many times. I put together some ideas on what you can do to feel better when you're feeling lonely. The most beneficial for me is to actually just to get out of the house and do something by myself  – a walk, a swim, pop to the cinema or just sit and people watch a while! ?

Do you have any other ideas from the ones on the list? How do you personally combat lonely feelings? Love to know what helps for other people... 

Posted

I think getting out of the house helps so much, sometimes just being around people (even if you don't interact) is just what you need. I also must say since getting a dog it's hard to feel lonely, so can definitely recommend getting a pet too ? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
Posted

Remember it is only a state of mind and you could feel that way with 1,000 people around you. 

Everyone knows this feeling it is common and it passes. 

• 8 months later...
  • Members
Posted

How do you feel less lonely even with people around you. They have all moved on and you are left behind standing there. What to do then? 

• Members
Posted

I can never speak up for everyone–but I was always the dependent one in my friendships. I was introverted mostly in high school so it was really difficult for me to make other friends and approach other people. Of course, this made the transition to college especially hard since my friends and I were taking on different majors and couldn't hang out as much anymore. You could say, in a way, they "moved on". 

What really helped me was connect with others who shared similar hobbies and interests. In high school, I was a huge science nerd. The thing that helped crawl out of my introverted shell was climate activism. Which eventually led me to a slight obsession with alternative energy–which then brought me into a science debate club and earned me a new set of college friends. 

But before I even met my new college friends, I was less lonely because I was zoning into my research and my activism. This is why, as cliche as it may seem, I believe in the saying "when you do your passion, you attract the same passionate people". Just find something that your heart really yearns for and the people come as a byproduct of that. Hope this helps :)