Does gardening make you feel happy?

Li****

Posted

I live in an apartment in the heart of the old town so I don't even have a balcony, but I do have an inward facing terrace, and a few months ago we started a little urban garden where we planted celery and a few other things. So far the only thing that's grown has been the celery and it's nearly ready to harvest! There's also a parsley plant that comes and goes, but so far I haven't been able to use much of it. I think it's because we don't get much sunlight here, but it's really nice having a bit of green to look at and touch, at least.

Posted

Gardening, to me, is relaxing and meaningful at the same time. Ultimately I went to live in the countryside to garden more. Still, even living in the city a terrace or balcony was the essential part of the living arrangement so I could grow at least some veggies and kitchen herbs.

In the current situation, to me, a garden is the biggest luxury imaginable. I spend as many hours as possible outside each day tending the plants and seedlings, weeding here, cleaning there. The work never ends, but it's the kind of work I look forward to. Fun fact about weeding: As most weeds are edible, the tasks of weeding often doubles as harvesting. (garlic mustard makes an excellent pesto)

Having a closer connection and understanding of the effort and time, it takes to grow food boosts my appreciation and understanding of being part of nature and how connected, interdependent everything is.
For example, I sprouted several Avocado seeds about 5 years ago. In about 15 years, I might get the first fruit if I am lucky.

So yes! Gardening makes me humble, appreciative, feeling connected and super happy.

• Members
Posted
2 hours ago, ZQLP said:

Love it

And that is awesome

• Members
Posted

I have a double plot allotment a short distance from me folks house , I have among other things been there daily. It's 3rd year slightly owning the plot but at present have an open shack looking back over the so called property. I now have a solar panel connected , and am going to make a D.I.Y. irrigation system , as well as at moments project being a chicken shack.  I have loads of produce on the grow ect,  and crucially , I'm still learning . Any information I have I can share with you beautiful people . x

• 11 months later...
  • Members
Posted

Yes, I love gardening

• 11 months later...
  • Members
Posted

I also love gardening although in Canada your gardening time is really limited due to weather conditions. My house has a small verranda and I decided to extend my great time for a little bit longer with replacement windows brampton https://thwindowsdoors.com/windows-doors-brampton/ that gave me a few useful tips about installation of double-sided panels to retain warmth in the premises.