How I Deal with depression, anxiety, or other mental health challenges: My Journey

Po****

• Members
Posted (edited)

My Journey?  Hmmm - That's actually a bit too cliché for me but will use what works for others in an attempt to be heard.  More often than not I find this world more a place in which people do time.  I think now think of Eckhart Tolle and his lectures on the subject:

If I may share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgj7u86e4wc

Perhaps not for everyone.  I do tend to find him easy on the ear and have spent a more than a few years being open to his core message with respect to here and now.   

I think I prefer to deal with depression, anxiety, or other mental health challenges through the process of dis-Identifying.   Commonly known in Eckhart's circle as dis-Identifying from the mind.  Apparently key to becoming present.  I make now claims either way but can only say what works for me and share what I see.  

Quote: "Simple but now easy" Reminds me of Jon Kabat-Zin whom I first came across on YouTube doing a presentation at Google.  The quote that just came to mind somewhere from his book 'Wherever you go there you are.'  I sense a sadness in him when watching him now but he handles it well.  He is his own master of course with his own box of tools.  I'd say that source of sadness comes from the irony of having talked at Google and they being what they are.  Can be summed up in an article 'Father of virtual reality: Facebook and Google are dangerous 'behavior-modification empires' resulting from a tragic mistake'  Jon tried his best and still does today with the odd online meet and greet.  I know his has made a positive influence on me.  

Me ... I'm a sponge and whilst have a failing memory and struggle cognitively when out and about in a world not designed for me, things that resonate with me tend to last for life.  Although this can be said for both negative and positive experiences.  For me, I am not into cutting people out of my life on a whim because some article claims that's how I will claim my prize.  I find such doctrine as it be, a tact like perhaps what google does when assimilating the knowledge of great speakers like Jon then creating an algorithm to hook people in.  Everyone promoting themselves behind a veil of excellence and success sold in many other likewise terms. Kind of like how western society adopts and twist other cultures, religion and philosophy.  Why not throw into the mix domination and control?  Smiles because it's all so challenging that anyone that talks on such things in todays world is quickly such down in a finely tuned machine that sees automated robot responses from humans all over today's info tech world.

Indeed, depression, anxiety, or other mental health challenges abound.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice myself.  Most of my take and approach is also very challenging but not so much for me.  It just fly's in the face of main stream ideals as peddled from the machine. I'm acutely aware though of how my own resistance works against me which is why I find the likes of Tolle, Zin and Watts very compelling.  That said, I don't find watts as soothing at Eckhart and Jon.  He is a little more blunt but still I find enough gold in his sharing to be helpful for me.  Grain of salt until it hits a home run, but then I much prefer revisiting such insights until I can either acknowledge them as my experience or not.  I don't care much for the dramatic music played in the background and images pasted over the top.  That's more part of the trap the Tolle often talks about and even Watt's himself.  Much irony abounds in as much at Jon talking at Google and again it being what it be.

In that regard the lycra , iconic images and drama used to profile peoples self promoting journeys is also something I recoil from.  Smiles again ... no wonder I prefer small groups. arrr ... Now I think of the Life of Brian.  Don't ask how I got there.  hehe.  I also don't take myself too seriously but also keep things true enough for me when creating my own script. 

I have no purpose that fits into another group ideal although many would propose in their daily speech.  "What do you do for a living?"  As if to imply I must be 'doing' something in order to live or whatever.  "Keeping Busy?"  all the way into the new age group that also ask many questions of others "What have you contributed?"  Different dynamics, same patterns.  The use of exclamations marks following claims of stillness and peace.  Tis a crazy world to be sure full of irony at every turn. Yet there are snippets to be had in every irony to be had.  "You shall know them by their fruits." The latter being from a book I consider and no more than a book, yet rings true enough.  I don't always throw the fruit out either just because it does not look pretty or not pitch perfect in taste.  Sadly it seems out culture today is steering more toward said irony more and more.  So sad indeed that it's nice to a section like this in a happiness forum that appears to be open to such things.

Each to their own of course.  This is my world view from what I have seen, experienced and see and seeing. Although it's worth noting such revelations can be hard to cope with. Especially in a world programmed with such an inherent need for validation and approval.  

Time for some gardening and to quickly share a pic of what keeps me out of such a chaotic and shallow world - more so what keeps me grounded, brings me solace and peace:

Is not about the end result but about the experience. Instead of cutting people out of my life on a whim and gong form relationship to relationship, I make friends with that which does do not use open its mouth or take photos of itself:  Again ... we all find happiness in our own way. 🙃  Takes more than a fancy profile, well constructed answers to text book questions to build trust in a world of deception. 

How's that for non-neurotypical?  Oh the labels!  ← Notes* first exclamation mark.  Well done on the drama. Oh how they hand those labels out and how people cling to them. Forgive my candor here but true enough for yours truly.  Such is a bit of an epidemic from what I can see.  I choose to be none of them but like so many others jump through the hoops in order that I may have the right to live. 

But yea ... whatever works.

I burnt out the sensor on my wife's camera taking the image bellow. It was cheap tiny compact affordable at the time to replace with the newer one - but how lost I was in the taking of that shot.  It was an experience which makes this one of so many years later still my favorite.  When I am doing well I enjoy taking these kinds of photos.  I find much of the essence in the talks given by those I named above in images like these.  I'm only just starting to get back into a cycle where I am considering sharing more of these experiences.  Minus my world view of course. These kind of shares tend to convey more in a way that's more digestible.  That said, writing in our own way from the heart as we see and breathe is also therapeutic.  This is why I am often more my own audience but open to all minds.  Even those that are not like mine but get the gist of being more open to those that resonate.  I'm just not into cutting out people as commonly sold nor all the other aspects of today's selfish algorithm.  This makes me a target by being so open, but then I also get to meet real people otherwise isolated by the things of which I highlight.  I'm all for those on the fringes - for all those who have been rejected - yet get the boundaries that others use to reason when taking a less painful route.   

Until next share - have a nice day. 
early-morning-swim-15314978407-o.jpg

Edited by Ponder
  • Members
Posted (edited)

Sorry you can't come in because your not positive enough!  Wow.  Are we really living a world like that?  We love solving problems but no negatives allowed?  Hmmm ... Houston, I think we have a problem!  No wonder the numbers don't add up.  There seems to be something missing?  In fact, there seems to be a LOT missing!  So how do we solve this issue of over abundance and inequality?   Dar da da daaa ... do not fear; happy smiley is here.  🙂 ...  Put on this cape and at the fist sign of discomfort "Cut and run!'  I mean if anyone makes you feels sad, your mum, your dad, siblings or long time friends, the only way to solve the problem is to cut them out of your life and spend the reset of eternity blaming them for the world's negativity.  You must only ever contemplate with a smile and smother yourself in excess.  If your not thriving but only surviving then you must of done it wrong.  Is there anyone else in left in your life that you can reject?  Yes you must get rid of them too ... you should of rejected them first.  Silly you.  No matter, I have a link and a book that will solve all your problems.  It's all about positivity and holds all the secrets to living a life of success.   1st and foremost you will manifest money!!! Yes, that is right ... you will finally have all you need to attract others like yourself.  Every page is chapter is full of glorious revelations that will see you continue to thrive with each turning of the page.  We guarantee that you will burst at the seems with joy and bliss that you really won't need anyone but people will want to be around you because that want to be like you.  You'll be ecstatic no longer having to worry about others as you now just wear people like trinkets to show off your new authentic self.  Hell ... you'll be able to make more success from the sales own books.   Just remember to also reject anything or anyone that makes you feel uncomfortable.  At the first sing of negativity we must extinguish with the shield of positivity.  

Just be sure when dispatching of others you do it love.  Yet another secret.  Do this and you'll never be wrong.  

Yea yea ... I know ... I'm just another one trying to sell another book.  

Sigh ... 

Here's to a glorious day in the trenches. 

A kid who knows a thing or two about the law of attraction ... 

file.gif

It's all in the expelling - Breathing in mind, not continually rejecting as we do in this todays world of excess and quick fixes - Needles and pills in mind.  I'll have an IV of todays vits and minerals please!\

Sometimes life is too short and other times its not short enough. Life simply does not exist without either dynamic. At least not outside of books or someone else's workshop. Be your own author and resonate as you must.  Don't let others dictate your frequency.  We might exist in a pool but we are all unique. 

Have a fantastic day. 🙃

Edited by Ponder
  • Members
Posted

Please don't mind my quirky sense of of expression.  I really mean no harm and like many others wish to make positive connections.  Yesterday I read this website's article on how nostalgia can console and aging heart (my take) and noted the mention how various clinical practices are wary of said states of mind.  I'm no expert on nostalgia but the essence of that article rang true enough for me.  I only mention this stream of thought like so as to introduce an old poem I wrote some time ago that draws upon a time in my life where during adversity I was able to connect with a form of happiness that always been with me.  

I share this now:  
finding-the-light-12424116073-o.jpg

Perhaps not your average take on nostalgia but for me, many of my past recollections to do with personal associations that bring me peace are typically experienced through adversity.  I only just found this poem this morning looking for through my large collection or personal photos hoping to find a positive association wishing to share another scenic image which typically yields for me a form of peace.  I am hoping to get back into the practice of likewise photography in the near future but for now content to use online text.  I don't like taking up space so don't suppose I will be hear for long as the inactivity is kind of making me stand out more then I like so perhaps will opt for a blog.  

Anyhoooows ... while I am here this for me rates as a share.  You know, if I heard Eckhart Tolle correctly, I beleive it was a park bench him when he connected with that something within.  I remember him distinctly talking about a similar experience that makes me think of how many times my homeless past offered me similar states of mind to much of what he went on teach.  Heads Up! - I'm not saying I'm Jesus Christ.  Laughs out loud because we got plenty of Messiah Complexes in this selfie age and I recoil from all of them.   To be sure I struggle like every other human re my ego and I'm pretty sure it's woven into my text but I do try to be mindful of such things.  I'm no guru on any of these things and in fact do not like self professed or glorified people.  I don't do well with audiences because of such things and feel sad the way other people hold up popular people and then sell and profit kind of thing.   Yet again I am sure we are all guilty of doing the same things on a personal level because is how we are pretty much conditioned to think and feel 24/7

But enough of that before that objective side of me if pegged as cynical.  Any form of discomfort is shadow banned.  How's that for perception management?  Rhetorical 

Back to the love and light not being as it's always perceived. 

I finish this post with my take on nostalgia:
"...on how nostalgia can console and aging heart ..." 3rd sentence in my above opening. 

I find as one grows older the distance between such spiritual connections (which I pretty much feel consciousness awakening/deeply felt mindful/'less' experiences are) grows more distance due to intolerance.  Yet adversity seems to be ageless and the age factor in my spiel here is not quite right for me as I struggle to grasp with what I am really trying to say.  Like I can see how it is that many people blinded by unconsciousness in the waking world only have their first spiritual insight only when their bodies start degrade to a point beyond their control as is inventible.  Much of my quirky satire in my previous post includes this same take in the healing and well being industry.  In fact much of it is based on avoiding the inevitable.   But back to intolerance which and can often be expressed in terms of age but more so time under stress.  The latter clinical but more often understood.  The connection between time under stress and an aging heart is what I sense I am aiming for when attributing the solace that can drawn when looking back on whatever association.   

Despite being raised in a very religious surrounding that whilst did more damage than good for quite some time, I had this intrinsic connection with some kind invisible light despite the many who seemed unable to foster me.  That said I was still prone to fall victim to another side of myself that played it's part as no more than byproduct in  a very toxic system.  That part of me is still very caught up in that world where it takes a lot of skill and focus NOT to identify with the many labels; we all have them and many they be.  

That's my morning share.  Now I am off for a simply bicycle ride to catch up with a friend similar but not quite like me.  Like minds do not always have to be a thing.  hehe little chuckle at that one.  Best to remain open no matter what and be accepting of everyone regardless of this world of boxes.  Less is best in a world of excess.  Quality over quantity but without the contention for that which does not fit. 

From this square peg ...  peace out. 😉

• Members
Posted

Boosting My mental Health:
Went for a walk with a friend and took some snap shots along the way. 
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Members
Posted

When it comes to bliss I guess it's becoming a new experience looking at images with no one in them.  😁 

I'm going to take this voice inside my head some place else where the echo is more in tune.  May all find what you are looking for.

Maxxu ... I have decided not to leave tacks to my new cave but will PM you with a link.  

Anyone else is welcome to email.  

Thanks for the space. 🖖    

live and let live. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
On 8/23/2022 at 2:21 AM, Ponder said:

Please don't mind my quirky sense of of expression.  I really mean no harm and like many others wish to make positive connections.  Yesterday I read this website's article on how nostalgia can console and aging heart (my take) and noted the mention how various clinical practices are wary of said states of mind.  I'm no expert on nostalgia but the essence of that article rang true enough for me.  I only mention this stream of thought like so as to introduce an old poem I wrote some time ago that draws upon a time in my life where during adversity I was able to connect with a form of happiness that always been with me.  

I share this now:  
finding-the-light-12424116073-o.jpg

Perhaps not your average take on nostalgia but for me, many of my past recollections to do with personal associations that bring me peace are typically experienced through adversity.  I only just found this poem this morning looking for through my large collection or personal photos hoping to find a positive association wishing to share another scenic image which typically yields for me a form of peace.  I am hoping to get back into the practice of likewise photography in the near future but for now content to use online text.  I don't like taking up space so don't suppose I will be hear for long as the inactivity is kind of making me stand out more then I like so perhaps will opt for a blog.  

Anyhoooows ... while I am here this for me rates as a share.  You know, if I heard Eckhart Tolle correctly, I beleive it was a park bench him when he connected with that something within.  I remember him distinctly talking about a similar experience that makes me think of how many times my homeless past offered me similar states of mind to much of what he went on teach.  Heads Up! - I'm not saying I'm Jesus Christ.  Laughs out loud because we got plenty of Messiah Complexes in this selfie age and I recoil from all of them.   To be sure I struggle like every other human re my ego and I'm pretty sure it's woven into my text but I do try to be mindful of such things.  I'm no guru on any of these things and in fact do not like self professed or glorified people.  I don't do well with audiences because of such things and feel sad the way other people hold up popular people and then sell and profit kind of thing.   Yet again I am sure we are all guilty of doing the same things on a personal level because is how we are pretty much conditioned to think and feel 24/7

But enough of that before that objective side of me if pegged as cynical.  Any form of discomfort is shadow banned.  How's that for perception management?  Rhetorical 

Back to the love and light not being as it's always perceived. 

I finish this post with my take on nostalgia:
"...on how nostalgia can console and aging heart ..." 3rd sentence in my above opening. 

I find as one grows older the distance between such spiritual connections (which I pretty much feel consciousness awakening/deeply felt mindful/'less' experiences are) grows more distance due to intolerance.  Yet adversity seems to be ageless and the age factor in my spiel here is not quite right for me as I struggle to grasp with what I am really trying to say.  Like I can see how it is that many people blinded by unconsciousness in the waking world only have their first spiritual insight only when their bodies start degrade to a point beyond their control as is inventible.  Much of my quirky satire in my previous post includes this same take in the healing and well being industry.  In fact much of it is based on avoiding the inevitable.   But back to intolerance which and can often be expressed in terms of age but more so time under stress.  The latter clinical but more often understood.  The connection between time under stress and an aging heart is what I sense I am aiming for when attributing the solace that can drawn when looking back on whatever association.   

Despite being raised in a very religious surrounding that whilst did more damage than good for quite some time, I had this intrinsic connection with some kind invisible light despite the many who seemed unable to foster me.  That said I was still prone to fall victim to another side of myself that played it's part as no more than byproduct in  a very toxic system.  That part of me is still very caught up in that world where it takes a lot of skill and focus NOT to identify with the many labels; we all have them and many they be.  

That's my morning share.  Now I am off for a simply bicycle ride to catch up with a friend similar but not quite like me.  Like minds do not always have to be a thing.  hehe little chuckle at that one.  Best to remain open no matter what and be accepting of everyone regardless of this world of boxes.  Less is best in a world of excess.  Quality over quantity but without the contention for that which does not fit. 
I can tell you about mental health, because it's a real problem and it should be talked about. Unfortunately, not everyone understands the magnitude of the problem. I hope I can help if you can review the mental health information here https://supremestudy.com/essay-examples/mental-health/ .There are plenty of essays on the subject. I hope I can help. 
From this square peg ...  peace out. 😉

this is really interesting story.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Posted

When it comes to boosting your mental health, every little bit counts. So if you’re feeling anxious or down, take a walk with a friend and enjoy the fresh air and scenery. And don’t forget to document your outing with some fun snaps!
Humor is also a great way to reduce stress and anxiety, so be sure to watch some funny memes, meme about anxiety or videos of cute animals. This will help you relax and see the lighter side of things.

A few meme websites that i know:

https://9gag.com/
https://knowyourmeme.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=meme&rs=filter

https://www.pinterest.com/artiristore/memes/
By taking small steps like these, you’ll be well on your way to overcoming anxiety and improving your mental health.

• 7 months later...
  • Members
Posted

Here are some steps you can take:

Recognize your feelings: Acknowledge and accept that you are experiencing depression, anxiety, or other mental health challenges. It's important to understand that these feelings are valid and that seeking help is a sign of strength.

Reach out for support: Share your thoughts and feelings with someone you trust, such as a close friend, family member, or a mental health professional. Opening up to others can provide emotional support and help you feel less alone.

Seek professional help: Consult with a mental health professional, such as a therapist or counselor. They can provide a safe space for you to explore your emotions, offer guidance, and develop coping strategies tailored to your specific needs.

Develop self-care routines: Engage in activities that promote your physical, emotional, and mental well-being. This may include regular exercise, eating nutritious meals, getting enough sleep, practicing mindfulness or meditation, or engaging in hobbies that bring you joy.

Establish a support network: Surround yourself with positive and understanding individuals who can provide support and encouragement. Consider joining support groups or online communities where you can connect with people who share similar experiences.

Educate yourself: Learn more about your condition, including its causes, symptoms, and available treatment options. Understanding what you're going through can empower you to make informed decisions about your mental health and treatment.

Practice self-compassion: Be kind to yourself and avoid self-judgment. Understand that healing takes time, and setbacks are a normal part of the process. Treat yourself with patience, understanding, and self-care.

Develop coping mechanisms: Discover healthy ways to cope with stress and manage your emotions. This might include deep breathing exercises, journaling, practicing relaxation techniques, or engaging in creative outlets like art or music.

Consider medication if needed: In some cases, medication may be prescribed by a psychiatrist to help manage symptoms. If you and your healthcare provider determine that medication is necessary, ensure that you follow their guidance and monitor any potential side effects.

Stay connected: Maintain meaningful relationships with friends and loved ones. Social support plays a crucial role in mental health, so try to engage in activities that foster connection and build relationships.

Remember, it's essential to consult with a qualified mental health professional to receive personalized advice and guidance for your specific situation. They can help you develop a treatment plan that aligns with your needs and goals.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

I like this one: Discuss your decision to seek help. This could include reaching out to a mental health professional, counselor, therapist, or support group.

• Members
Posted

difficult but important topic
thanks for this experience
I will study this in more detail and be sure to write a longread on the topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

Inspiring journey! We have to fight mental health issues to make ourselves stronger than before.

--YOURMENTALHEALTHPAL

• Members
Posted (edited)

In navigating my journey through depression, anxiety, and other mental health challenges, I've found solace in embracing non-pharmacological and non-opioid pain management techniques. These methods, distinct from medication, have provided me a holistic approach to healing. Through mindfulness, exercise, therapy, and creative outlets, I've discovered powerful tools that empower me to overcome hurdles while prioritizing my mental well-being.

Edited by Michael44