New from the ozarks

Posted
Hey Robyn, welcome. I was also interested in the idea of living a simpler life or off-grid so would love to hear more about where you are and how it is going for you. I like idea of having some isolation and peace but also wouldn't want to miss out on human connection.
  • Members
Posted

Sure. I don't know what stage you are at but researching the land before you settle on it is key.

Sacrifices will be made so be mentally prepared for that. There was no structure on the land. No well in place No septic. We lived in a tent for 79 days. No running water for 201 days. We do have neighbors that helped out but we pretty much was on our own. I definitely recommend building with a partner. 

Inconveniences: Stores aren't around the corner. Or labor/farmhands. It would be highly recommended if you are highly mechanical and methodical in planning. you plan all shopping and entertainment for the day you go into town.

other than that the mountains are beautiful. Deer walk across our land in the mornings and evenings. Nice and quite. neighbors are friendlier than city people. best of all after all the hard work and sacrifice no bills. Can't wait for gardening .

Posted

Wow, that is such an inspiring lifestyle, and really good advice for anyone interested in a simpler life away from all the commotion of a city. What is the weather like where you live? Welcome to happiness! ??

• Members
Posted

I live in the mountains of Arkansas. I gets cool but it is never a long winter like in the north. we rarely get snow. the other day we got up to 60 degrees tomorrow I think the temp will be 33. It rains a lot so there's always flooding. Not for the houses themselves but low lying businesses and recreation places. we also get a lot of day or morning fog.