Compassionate

Transforming fear into compassion.

Compassionate
Posted

I strived during my life to be compassionate. As a physician always took all the time a patient needed to be listened to and for that reason my practice remained small, this was my choice to be empathetic /almost too much/. I was told by my Buddhist monk patient that I have earned merit. I still do not feel the rewards of being compassionate. I am fearful about my wife’s health condition, I am stressed, anxious and fearful. The Buddha teaches that fear can be transformed into compassion. How ?? How come that I am compassionate and still feel fear, anxiety. Please explain this and enlighten me. I am grateful for any comment.

CupcakeDolly
Posted

Hello!

I don't know you or your life at all, but based on what you've written I think it might be best to ask yourself if you're truly being compassionate towards others or if you're just giving your energy away to them without regard for how much you should keep for yourself. In order to develop the ability to feel unconditional love for your fellow humans it's imperative that you learn to love yourself unconditionally first—perhaps even MORE than you love others, because you need a solid foundation of love to start from before you try to build on top of it. Take care of yourself. Forgive yourself. Treat your body and mind with the same kind of love that you'd like to give to others.

As far as how to transform fear into love, I'm afraid (no pun intended) that I don't know. I'm still looking for the answer to that as well, but if I find any interesting resources I'll be sure to post them here. <3