gre

What is it you do to stop global warming?

gre
Posted
3 hours ago, Julius said:

I am just booking my next holiday. We will go by train this time. It takes 10 hours longer, but I am already looking forward to the slow journey :)

In my company we also made it a company policy to double check if we really need to fly somewhere or can also achieve comparable results in other ways. If we do really need to fly, we offset the carbon footprint through companies like atmosfair or planting trees ourselves.

When it comes to food, I stopped eating meat about 8 years ago for that reason and try to only buy local, seasonal and organic produce since. I also recently started to compost and grow my own vegetables. It feels really good :)

Someone once told me that planes go too fast for your soul to follow, so when you're in a new place it takes a few days for it to arrive. Bit esoteric maybe but I like the idea and really appreciate slow journeys.

In my flat we have stopped using liquid soap which always comes in a plastic container and started to use soap bars instead. 🧼

Yvonne
Posted
I support sustainable projects from people, organisations and instituions and maintain a sustainable lifestyle, save energy, consume less, be conscious about my actions, don't eat meat...
Tine
Posted

We harvest from the fruit trees in the garden and make jams, chutneys, cakes and such. We also make kimchi and sauerkraut ourselves. Where we can we avoid plastic, processed food and buy seasonal and regional.

We also agreed not to buy anything new for the house if it can be bought 2nd hand or self-build, upcycled with things we already have. This takes longer but in the end it's much more fun. I am trying to do the same thing with clothes. This year so far I've spend 168€ on new clothes.

I am using a mooncup instead of pads or tampons, which creates zero waste.

In addition, we don't buy anything we already have in a nicer/ trendier version. This way we are stuck with the old "uncool" stuff but that's still better than throwing that out and buying something more eco.

Once I started being more aware of reducing, recycling, reusing, I realised that I have everything already. The idea of "enough" seems to be so radical in an economy where consumption is key. The only thing I am short of regularly now is time. 🙂

AidanFarmer
Posted

I think you have a point here, but even if we reduce our personal footprint on the environment there are thousands and thousands of factories and companies around the world that trump all of our efforts. Until lobbyists are working on the behalf of oil companies etc. we can't win. Of course, there's companies like this one here , they don't harm not one single soul with their work, while operating in somewhat questionable aspects of market. Still, if you want to make a difference - change it from the inside. Not inside the government - they bought and paid by big corporations. Figure out a way to make energy cheaper and safer for us and the environment. Like solar, but without hundreds of miles of occupant soil by the panels.