How do you calm the mind?

Tine

Question

Posted

In MBSR, I often talk about how some of the meditations we practice are not meant to calm the mind. A calmer mind may or may not be a side product.
So how do you calm the mind?
What are your go-to strategies in times of unrest or when you are in bed, but you can't sleep?

8 answers to this question

• Members
Posted

I'm all for using the breath. There are different breathing techniques, as our breath is a reflection of our state of mind. Really interesting stuff. 

• Members
Posted

Digital Jigsaw puzzles do it for me. Also I try not to bring devices to bed so yes to wind down activities outside of the bedroom like jigsaw puzzles or a familiar tv show I watch over and over. Reading a favorite book is also good. See archive dot org for a free library. But no tv or computer or phone in the bedroom and no tv news after a certain time if night. It is upsetting.

• Members
Posted

When I’m really in my head and can get out I use my 5 senses. 
5 things you can see

4 things you can hear

3 things you can feel

2 thinks you can smell

1 thing you can taste. 

It takes your body out of fight or flight mode and makes you present. ?

• Members
Posted
By calming the body, the breath and limiting the outside stimulation
  • Members
Posted
For me, this music is a yoga. Music is really the best way to relieve stress, and yoga is a great skill but it's hard to find the right video, but you can easily find it on your mobile so you can try it too.
  • Members
Posted

I find the process of processing thoughts is the only way to calm the mind. I use different forms of processes to do this. Sometimes I use music by starting off with music that matches my current state of thought. Or music that matches my current emotional state and as I transition from song to song I either find myself listening to the same song over and over or moving on to a new one that is similar or slightly different and as I go along i well eventually transmute my emotional state by moving into songs that I already know that will bring me to the state of calmness or sometimes happiness, even maybe just being contentment. Other times I use meditation like where you sit like a buddha, or lay down and let the thoughts just flow until my mind is calm. I even use mantras a lot during these times. Other times I cook or clean or even workout while I meditate so that I exercise the thoughts into an action to relieve any anxiety. I have found that while meditating in stillness thoughts or memories I didn't even know I still had come up for me to process. These are those lingering thoughts that cause anxieties and depression brought about by triggers like when you come across someone, watch a movie, or listen to a song and you get those old feelings springing back up. So basically I calm the mind through movement or flow.  

• Members
Posted

For me it's music and yoga. Music is indeed the best way to relieve stress, and for me, listening to playlists from youtube is the best way to cope with anxiety and so on. But it's hard to find the right video, but with services like mp3 juice, it's easy to get everything on your phone and listen to it. So I don't have any problems finding the right music and coping with stress that way, so I think you can try it as well.