I'm a loner

• Members
Posted
It's just my nature I guess. I miss my late wife, she was my best friend. I would like to get a dog.
  • Members
Posted
Thanks, I'll remember that.
Posted
On 4/9/2022 at 1:58 PM, xaf208 said:

The one thing that I would want people to know about me is that I am an introvert.

The one thing I would have liked to know about myself earlier is that I am an introvert. 🙂

Once I had that figured out life became a bit easier. I had to stop playing the role of the extrovert which didn't fit and I was able to understand my needs and possibilities much better.

• Members
Posted
Yes, I agree. Probably the most difficult aspect of it though is being misunderstood by people in general.
  • Members
Posted

Misunderstood in which way?
Do you have an example?

Posted

I have a classic example: I would go to a party - put my extrovert disguise on and play a role for a while. This person who wasn't really me would make some friends who would then reach out a day or two later but I wouldn't be able to reply as the real me as I thought they'd expect extrovert me to put on a show again.

Hm, that's not an example of a misunderstanding but for creating false expectations.

Anyway, now that I have typed it I'll post it ;-)

• Members
Posted
Right. Well, if you follow your natural tendencies as an introvert people tend to get offended because they think that you are ignoring them or don't like them for some reason.
  • Members
Posted

I just had to google to understand, what introversion means exactly.

Appearently, introverts like to establish contacts, just like extroverts, but on a smaller scale.
And this is exactly, how I act on a party. I stay in the background, I listen and I think about the things, people talk about. When I find an interesting conversation in a smaller group, I join in.

Posted
6 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

I stay in the background, I listen and I think about the things, people talk about. When I find an interesting conversation in a smaller group, I join in.

Exactly. These days I know how to navigate a party and be myself. Before, I thought I had to act certain ways to fit it, which was hurtful to myself and others.

• Members
Posted
Right. An introvert will usually have only one or two close friends, whereas an extrovert will likely have many groups of friends. We tend to keep to ourselves and only get involved in situations that genuinely interest us, rather than feel a need to constantly socialize and get involved.
  • Members
Posted

So is extroversion even healthy/good?
I mean... Discussing boring topics just to talk about something sounds desperate to me.

But maybe it makes sense to some personalities.
There are analytic personalities like me, but there are also very social focussed personalities.

• Members
Posted
Yeah, I'm no psychologist I just know that most people generally fit into either one or the other category. I suppose going too far in either direction isn't really healthy though.
Posted

I think it's about what nourishes you.

I enjoy a party and chitchatting with lots of people, making new connections but it drains me, while at the same party I can sit with one or two people engaged in a long discussion and it nourishes me.

• Members
Posted
I feel the same way.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted
I’m an introvert too feels weird sometimes