Week 1 formal practice: Body Scan

Tine

Posted
Am 12.1.2021 at 09:37, schrieb mrm356:

I realized that "refocusing my vision" cues me into going back to the moment, so I often open my eyes or shift my eyes to refocus.

Thank you for this new insight and useful tip for coming back! I'll try that.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Posted

I am so grateful to do the body scan. I have been meditating for years but most recently have been doing different yogic exercises. However I have moved to a more mindfulness based approach for my practice. This week as I did the body scan my years of vipassina kicked in and I settled right into the practice. I was able to sit within the emotions, the aches the pains of my body, and allow for them to pass in and out. I found that I had a few very challenging meditations where focus was not my friend. But I found I was able to come back again and again without judgment. Grateful to be here. Thanks!

Posted
vor 22 Stunden, schrieb Adam:

I found I was able to come back again and again without judgment

This is wonderful. What you describe is probably the most valuable skill we can train to deal with our everyday challenges.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

Today I started week 1 module with body scan exercise. I fall asleep in between it seems and woke up before just finishing the practice. My experience in past is that while doing body by laying down is , I fall asleep or might be go in deeper state of meditation and revert back before the end of session. I will keep updated by reflections.

• Members
Posted

13-06-2021

WK1 - Today I did formal meditation as suggested by many people in sitting position. I used Jon kabat Zinn guided meditation. It was tough as mind was wandering in between. I am able to feel many sensations in the body. The guidance seems to be too much to distract the focus frequently. I will try some other guided meditation tomorrow.

Posted

@madhuvarsha Sitting up is a good way to stay focused. Another aspect to experiment with other than the position and the guidance is the time of day. If you have been meditating in the evening - if you can - try meditating in the morning or vice versa.

• Members
Posted
On 6/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, Tine said:

@madhuvarsha Sitting up is a good way to stay focused. Another aspect to experiment with other than the position and the guidance is the time of day. If you have been meditating in the evening - if you can - try meditating in the morning or vice versa.

Today while doing the body scan meditation, since I came thru the social media posts and messages on Facebook and Whatsapp in the morning. The messages made me disturbed and lead to think about to make day schedule. It made me difficult to focus on body scan meditation. It leads to curiosity also that what is the benefit of doing body scan with so much instructions, why not the guided meditation should have less instructions and more silence to focus more.

Posted
19 hours ago, madhuvarsha said:

the guided meditation should have less instructions and more silence to focus more

@madhuvarsha Later in the course the meditations will get more spacious and the students become more experienced.

There are 6 different versions available on the resources page. If you find one that you particularly like please add the link in the comments so other students can benefit from it as well. :-)