Advice on how to help someone with anxiety

Li****

Posted
Thank you for that advice @Calvin77, that's really helpful :)
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members
Posted

Giving some suggestion with solace is useful in the condition . It reduces the grievance and applies an oinment on the wounds of sorrow.
I would like to say to quit anxiety and ponder over the reason of it. Though an anxiety is a form of thinking because it attracts the mind to bad consequence of the deeds, yet thinking is a possitive way to pay attention to the matter.
The More think over the reasons , the more the mind gets peaceful.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
Posted

Hey guys. Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but I need your help. My sister has become really anxious since she got her new job last month. I thought she would be even happier when she got it, but it's turned out she's become more stressed out. What could I do to help her?

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

If a person wants to get rid of it, he will look for ways, then you can offer them, what is better and what is not it is d
 When a person goes to his dream all sorts of problems happen, but still he goes and he may think about giving up or not.
And if a person does not want to, he will spit it out no matter how much effort he puts into it.
Wait for his call for help, not yours, but his.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

If you want to help someone with anxiety, here are some tips:

Listen: Listen to the person without judgment and try to understand their perspective. Allow them to express their fears and concerns.

Be supportive: Let the person know that you are there for them and that you care about their well-being. Encourage them to seek help and let them know that they are not alone.

Offer reassurance: Let the person know that their anxiety is normal and that they are not "crazy" or "weak." Help them understand that anxiety is a common experience and that it can be managed with the right treatment.

Encourage self-care: Encourage the person to take care of themselves by getting enough sleep, eating well, exercising, and practicing relaxation techniques.

Help them seek professional help: If the person's anxiety is interfering with their daily life, encourage them to seek professional help from a therapist or mental health professional. Offer to help them find a therapist or accompany them to their appointments.

Avoid enabling: While it's important to be supportive, avoid enabling the person's anxiety by doing things for them that they can do themselves. Encourage them to take responsibility for their own well-being and to seek help when needed.

Be patient: Recovery from anxiety can take time, so be patient and supportive. Celebrate their progress, no matter how small, and encourage them to keep moving forward.

Remember that every person's experience with anxiety is different, so it's important to be open, supportive, and understanding. By providing support and encouraging the person to seek help, you can help them manage their anxiety and improve their overall well-being.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

f someone close to me suffers from anxiety attacks and OCD, how can I best be there for them? What should I do/say 

• Members
Posted
vor 1 Stunde, schrieb mornigstar:

f someone close to me suffers from anxiety attacks and OCD, how can I best be there for them? What should I do/say 

That's difficult. When I tried to lower someone's anxiety by telling the person, the problems are smaller than they think they are, I was blamed for not taking the person seriously.
It turned out, the person just wanted me to listen and didn't want advice and it was hard for me to accept that, because I like the person a lot.

So you can listen to them, maybe hug them, help them thinking about the worst that can happen and realizing it's survivable.

Maybe advice them to visit a doctor, but that's a hard step for many people.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Posted

Supporting someone with anxiety requires understanding, empathy, and patience. Here are some steps you can take to provide effective assistance:

Educate Yourself: Learn about anxiety disorders, their symptoms, and common triggers. Understanding what your friend or loved one is experiencing can help you provide more informed and compassionate support.

Listen Actively: Encourage open communication. Let the person share their feelings and thoughts without judgment. Sometimes, just having someone to talk to can be incredibly helpful.

Validate Their Feelings: Acknowledge their anxiety as real and valid. Avoid downplaying or dismissing their emotions. Let them know you are there to support them.

Be Patient: Anxiety can be overwhelming, and recovery takes time. Be patient with their progress and setbacks.

Offer Practical Help: Assist with tasks that might be difficult for them, such as running errands or attending social events. This can help alleviate some of the stress and pressure they might feel.

Encourage Professional Help: Suggest seeking therapy or counseling. A mental health professional can provide appropriate strategies and tools to manage anxiety effectively.

Respect Their Boundaries: While your support is crucial, it's important to respect their need for space and time alone when necessary.

Practice Relaxation Techniques Together: Encourage relaxation techniques like deep breathing, mindfulness, meditation, or yoga. You can even do these activities together to make it more enjoyable.

Engage in Positive Activities: Encourage participation in activities they enjoy and that promote well-being. Engaging in hobbies and interests can help distract from anxious thoughts.

Avoid Enabling: While it's important to be supportive, avoid helping them avoid situations that trigger anxiety. Encouraging gradual exposure to these situations can promote long-term coping skills.

Be Mindful of Language: Use language that is positive and supportive. Avoid telling them to "calm down" or implying that they should just "get over it."

Stay Connected: Keep in touch regularly, even if it's just to check in. Knowing that someone cares can make a significant difference.

Model Healthy Coping: Demonstrate healthy coping strategies in your own life. Your behavior can serve as a positive example.

Avoid Alcohol and Drugs: Encourage them to avoid using alcohol or drugs to cope with anxiety, as these can exacerbate the problem.

Emergency Plan: If their anxiety becomes overwhelming or they're in crisis, know the signs of a severe anxiety attack and have a plan for seeking immediate professional help.

Remember that you are there to support and encourage, but you are not a substitute for professional help. If their anxiety is severely impacting their life, encourage them to seek assistance from a mental health professional. Your role is to be a caring and understanding friend or loved one during their journey towards managing anxiety.