How can you overcome negative work space?

De****

• Members
Posted

When you work with others that don’t find value in their day to day job and you find the negativity is infecting more and more of the work place. How can you change what has become the norm? I find myself feeling like an outsider looking in on the sinking ship around me and trying not to be sucked in but feeling very lonely on the outside, when those around you have already been sucked in and are not reaching for any life saver they are just treading water until the next storm comes their way. 

Posted

Energy thieves and people who spread negative energy can be so hard to deal with, and especially in the work place where you spend such big part of your time. I'm not sure I have any great advice, but could you talk to your boss/HR about it? Or perhaps try to say something when people start with their negative talk to not let the whole conversation spiral into a negative place?

I once worked in an office that had a kind of 'high school mean girl' vibe with lots of talking behind others' backs and eye rolls when certain people said something. I didn't work there for very long, but I was just being nice and polite to everyone and kept a distance not to get involved in any drama or picking sides. I realised I wouldn't exactly be making friends there ? so I didn't care to get invested. 

Will be looking forward to seeing what others have to say, I think this is unfortunately a common situation. 

• Members
Posted
If you don’t already do this I would try to switch the conversation to a positive one as fast as possible trying to include everyone into the discussion so the positivity spreads faster, if no inspiration is around then maybe it’s you who needs to be just that.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

In my role it is important to remain calm and positive. Some days are much easier than others. Each day I try these simple steps which help facilitate a better work environment, at least for myself:

1. Start each day new. Smile on. Positivity flowing. 

2. Validate my coworkers feelings. I have no way of understanding what that person is personally experiencing. But at least I can reassure that I am listening and their feelings are important.

3. Leave the craziness at work. I try not to carry it home with me. Some days are easier than others LOL