If the past rule your head

Ge****

• Members
Posted

Wow. My first own topic outside of the introduction Area.
In the past, especially in my youth, my family told me anytime as possible "You can't do this" "You'll never can learn this" and so on.  Since then, I tried so ... soooo many things. And these words of my childhood are echoing anytime and that brings me to give up.

Newest example: I tried to learn drawing. But as I wanted to get into more complex thing, it's desastrous and I gave up to learn things like this ...  for now.
Many people told me "Forget the past. Look at the future." and I get the impression that people can't empathize this ... echoes and the feelings which growing on these.

My questions is: Am I alone in this world with this? I mean with the "I give up, the past is right"-thingy.

Thanks for your attention. I know the topic is not "happy" but I think it can showing people, who has similiar "problems" that they aren't alone.

Gerry

• Members
Posted (edited)

I tried some things too and I stopped doing them. Probably because I didnt think it was a lot of fun. 

But if you really want to learn something and your only problem is self-confidence, I recommend taking small steps to see fast results and to stay motivated. 

So dont start with drawing a complex photorealistic scene but start with drawing just an eye. You can find many tutorials for this, it may take a few hours but I'm pretty sure, you can do it and I bet you will like the result. 

Edited by suedseefrucht
  • Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

I tried some things too and I stopped doing them. Probably because I didnt think it was a lot of fun. 

But if you really want to learn something and your only problem is self-confidence, I recommend taking small steps to see fast results and to stay motivated. 

So dont start with drawing a complex photorealistic scene but start with drawing just an eye. You can find many tutorials for this, it may take a few hours but I'm pretty sure, you can do it and I bet you will like the result. 

Drawing was an example :)
But I've problems do draw good lines, correct circles and so on and I was practicing so hard. At the moment I take a break. But the words of my mother are burned into my head and if I try smth new, they'll very loud.

• Members
Posted

It's not forbidden to use tools for a straight line or a perfect circle. Tools are part of art. Some people use a sponge to paint clowds for example. 

Starting something new is never easy. Even the best people fail. The successful people just got back up one more time than they were slammed on the ground. 

Posted

I was told that I shouldn't try anything because I might fail. And the pain of failure was something I shouldn't have to experience... that plan failed... as I understood that I am not good enough to succeed at anything...

I learned pretty late in life that one can fail gracefully and failure is pretty much an essential part of learning. 

Tara Brach calls the deep belief to not be good enough which is really common in many of us "the trance of unworthyness".

• Members
Posted
If past rule the head than only art of past life will continue. That is also a jealousy point for many. Past are just to forget, learn lesson and apply their experiences to present. I don't think who live in past can be calmfull to satisfy with present.