Tine

Week 3 & 4 formal practice: Mindful Movement/ Yoga

Udumbara
Posted
On 2/1/2020 at 8:55 PM, jolaine said:

A lot of interesting observations, Udumbara. I expect it could be different for each of us. I'm totally into the Art of Doing Nothing, and I suppose it's a type of meditation that I've always needed, but I do find the structure of Meditation, capital M, sometimes too restrictive/confining for me. I typically spend that time in nature, with water or other sounds and sights naturally guiding me, or, because I am a kinesthetic learner, perhaps, my most meditative state only begins after some 30 minutes of fast walking through the woods. That seems to be when all my thoughts are chased away, and I can just be...

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your reply.  I totally understand about the power of nature.  My practice of stopping this week is to say ‘itadakimasu before eating which is Japanese for receiving, but not just receiving a plate of food but to appreciate the life energy in it.  Of the animal that has given its life for you to live if it is meat or the energy of nature that has gone into plant based food and also the energy of the person who prepared it.  I usually go outside every morning to eat breakfast and when I’m in nature with the sun on my face, a breeze around me and listening to the birds chirping, it is so easy to stop and appreciate all of those things.  I take one mouthful at a time, put my spoon down in between and don’t take the next spoonful until I’ve finished what’s in my mouth.   This is relatively easy outside in nature but if it’s raining for example and I’m inside, I start to multitask, reading the news on the internet while eating my breakfast and barely aware of what I’m eating.  It’s a completely different experience even if I say ‘itadakimasu’ first.

My thinking mind has been active this week and it’s been hard to sleep so I’ve been doing a body scan in bed to take my focus away from thoughts.  It works pretty well but the thinking mind is strong and my toes seem so far away from my head when it’s in full swing :)

im enjoying the yoga.  I climbed a mountain on Tuesday and my body has been aching from using the different muscles, so even though it’s not exactly a pleasant feeling while doing yoga with an aching body, I know that it is helping to stretch out and can still enjoy it.  A bit like training ourselves to think that Stephens’s can be useful.  Unpleasant movement can also be enjoyable if I view it as good for me :)

I hope I will be able to transfer this to other areas of life.

i can’t find the mid way point assessment sheet.  I’ve been back through week 4 to look for the link but can’t find it.  Could anyone help with that please.

thank you

with a smile :)

jolaine
Posted
19 hours ago, Udumbara said:

Thanks for your reply.  I totally understand about the power of nature.  My practice of stopping this week is to say ‘itadakimasu before eating which is Japanese for receiving, but not just receiving a plate of food but to appreciate the life energy in it.  Of the animal that has given its life for you to live if it is meat or the energy of nature that has gone into plant based food and also the energy of the person who prepared it.  I usually go outside every morning to eat breakfast and when I’m in nature with the sun on my face, a breeze around me and listening to the birds chirping, it is so easy to stop and appreciate all of those things.  I take one mouthful at a time, put my spoon down in between and don’t take the next spoonful until I’ve finished what’s in my mouth.   This is relatively easy outside in nature but if it’s raining for example and I’m inside, I start to multitask, reading the news on the internet while eating my breakfast and barely aware of what I’m eating.  It’s a completely different experience even if I say ‘itadakimasu’ first.

My thinking mind has been active this week and it’s been hard to sleep so I’ve been doing a body scan in bed to take my focus away from thoughts.  It works pretty well but the thinking mind is strong and my toes seem so far away from my head when it’s in full swing :)

im enjoying the yoga.  I climbed a mountain on Tuesday and my body has been aching from using the different muscles, so even though it’s not exactly a pleasant feeling while doing yoga with an aching body, I know that it is helping to stretch out and can still enjoy it.  A bit like training ourselves to think that Stephens’s can be useful.  Unpleasant movement can also be enjoyable if I view it as good for me :)

I hope I will be able to transfer this to other areas of life.

i can’t find the mid way point assessment sheet.  I’ve been back through week 4 to look for the link but can’t find it.  Could anyone help with that please.

thank you

with a smile :)

Midway Self-Assessment [PDF]

So you climbed a mountain this week, huh? Lol!! It does sound kinda painful 🙂 

Udumbara
Posted
5 hours ago, jolaine said:

Midway Self-Assessment [PDF]

So you climbed a mountain this week, huh? Lol!! It does sound kinda painful 🙂 

Painful but enjoyable..... :)

thank you for the midway self assessments.

and it looks like the iPad changed stress to Stephens somehow in my post......

thanks for being there.

Mindfulbehavior2020
Posted

I am beginning Week 4 and I'm really tuned into how my body, mind and spirit have changed.  I'm gaining this general sense of calm that I carry throughout my day more consistently.  A close friend of mine said she noticed a big difference in my general demeanor.

I find the yoga (just any added movement to the meditation/mindfulness practices) is much more beneficial for me at this moment, I've recognized that it grounds me and allows me to pay closer attention to my body and breath while being fully present.  Week 3 meditations found it difficult to quiet my heightened brain and I didn't feel the benefit I had been since beginning this course and a consistent practice.  I did find myself back to feeling in my practice with the addition of the yoga.  I've been practicing yoga (informally, on my own) for many years and this course has been enhancing my ability to incorporate mindfulness into my practice, which was what I felt was missing!  

The science behind these concepts and practices is also really awesome and has been keeping my momentum going!

RichieA
Posted

So I’m having some issues with major stress knots in my shoulder that’s preventing me from doing anything physical. But for my STOP  I’m doing seated meditation.  It’s always after my lunch, which is great because after lunch I move from my adult to the youth groups of leading Recreation Therapy.  It helps me get through the day as productive as the beginning