How do you end a friendship?

Calvin77

Posted

Have you ever had to end a friendship? Maybe you fell out over something, there was a break of trust, or you just grew apart? If so, how did you do it?! ? How do you know when to end a friendship and what's the best way to do it? Asking for a friend... :P!

Posted
That's such a good question! Personally, I think I would just stop responding to them ? And when they eventually ask if something is up, I guess I would tell them why I think we shouldn't be friends anymore. I'm actually experiencing something like this right now. I used to have a friend in Cape Town who was like a sister to me. The last time I visited, I saw her very briefly and we made further plans to have a beach day together before I left. But when the day came, she had to "help her mum hang up curtains". This, along with many other things, made me realise that it's not really a friendship I need to be investing any more time and energy into, so I just stopped texting her. To be honest, it was a long time coming and I think we both realised there's no point in pretending that we still need each other, which is also good because there are no hard feelings. I think in the past I would also just stop hanging out with people until they get the message ?, but now that I'm older, I think I would discuss it with them if they ask.
Posted
2 hours ago, Bethnicles said:

But when the day came, she had to "help her mum hang up curtains". 

LOL! That's definitely a sign that the friendship may be over ? In that situation when you're mutually agreed that the friendship is over then that makes it easier for sure. I think the hardest thing must be when the person you're ending the friendship with doesn't really understand why you want to do that or can even see the negative qualities which may be upsetting you! 

I agree as well, it might be good to speak to them direct rather than ghosting but it's so tricky. I think most people would prefer honesty where possible, though. Unless, of course, they did something really bad then I guess it's just easier to cut them out?

Posted
Such a tricky question! I'm definitely a person who would try and avoid someone and see if the friendship kind of naturally faded away from both sides. I hate conflict and confrontation lol so I'd unfortunately probably be quick to hop on the ghosting train. ??‍♀️ If the person however would not take the hint, or persist in keeping the relationship going I would have to give them the reason to why I don't want to be friends anymore - unless they had done something awful and I did not care to explain myself! It's also hard if you don't want to upset someone in the moment, it might feel 'easier' to be 'too busy to meet' or 'forget to reply in a timely manner' until they give up, but it's definitely not the mature, evolved advice I'd want to give ? /Ghoster_88
  • 2 months later...
  • Members
Posted
What happens to a dying friendship?
  • Members
Posted
I try not too. But nature takes hold. X
  • Members
Posted
I have ended many friendship or so called friendships that were no longer serving me, I simply stopped messaging or phoning them until eventually we stopped speaking. I have never said your not my friend anymore lol and i would still say hi to them if i saw them in the street i just wouldn't stop to conversation with them for long. It's important to surround yourself with people who want the best for you, help you grow for the best and support you in every aspect of your life.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

In my case the friendships which ended consciously where not real friendships before. In one case a friend whom I did hold dear one day spend the whole evening ranting about how every single thing I do in life is bad. I sat through the whole rant being puzzled that it didn't even com eto fight, just her ranting and me listening. I wen home and never contacted her again. She didn't either. So that was that. It still makes me sad thinking about it, but on the other hand I was always the one calling her to start with so I could have seen it coming but due to the work hours and schedule my free time was so unprecictable that I was used to be the one reaching out when I was available.