Culture of Consent

Posted

As a professional dancer- of all types of music, I often have issues with consent. A lot of times people, both men and women, think that because we are dancing together or in close proximity, that it's alright to just touch me whenever...and it's not. 

It can be really frustrating and often times I need to just hold in my feelings so I can continue dancing- there are many times I want to explode, as I feel quite violated, but also just figured it came with the territory.

Thanks for starting this topic.

Posted

Hi MissMisses! 

Thanks for sharing! I can definitely say it must not be that easy at all. I think maybe it might be a really good idea to voice your opinion. Or maybe even at the beginning of the class, you could speak with everyone, just letting them know the importance of consent, and making sure that everyone understands that dancing alongside or with someone else, doesn't necessarily mean it's ok to touch them in a certain way, or afterwards, etc. 

Posted

I would have believed Consent to be a natural, and normal thing. It's a bit sad these days that people must explain to others how important Consent is. 

Posted

As a nurse, it can be really difficult with consent. There are plenty of times we see things that are really hard to deal with, or a patient that you think you could help, but isn't fully conscious, or sane, and you want to help...but you can't. Consent is a really important topic, and also an interesting one, especially in the medical field.