Tine

Week 5 formal practice: "turning towards" (formerly "Soften, Soothe, Allow")

KKPinkowski
Posted

I did the first day of week 5 today.  Turning towards emotional pain.  I think I was overly prepared for some kind of tidal wave of emotions, I had a box of Kleenex on standby, but it didn’t come.  I think the critical lesson for me was changing the language from “I am” to noticing instead where the emotion was coming from.  In my case, it’s a series of emotions that surround this holiday season.   I can cry at the drop of a hat.  As for the meditation practice, I need to keep trying with it, because it went so quickly and I was really just overcome with not feeling overcome.  Really has me thinking now though.

Borahbestie
Posted

I push away feelings of shame. I can look at anxiety and fear. I can even tolerate sadness. But shame tears me apart. I hide from it. I tried to do the meditation on shame. I realized that others in that moment around the world felt shame too. It helped. Thank you

Tine
Posted

Negative feelings like shame hold much wisdom and the possibility for growth when we allow them to speak to us when we allow ourselves to feel them. Looking at them closely is maybe our only way to dissolve/ resolve them, but it takes strength, and we need to be brave and not every day is a day we have those available.

Be brave but also be kind to yourself.

I go through the steps of RAIN again and again. Some days the thoughts of not being good enough are still very loud but only looking them straight in the eye shows me the amount of truth they hold.

jolaine
Posted

So, this fifth week was the most important, most meaningful to me. I've never been shy about looking at myself closely, but the idea of counterbalancing all of it, much like Tine, has been a new idea that I'm in much need of. ...phew

waihong
Posted

My first day for Week 5. I had pain on my neck, probably due to my head injury. Hence I was like not able to do anything, but to "enjoy" this pain. LOL.

So I came.. and left.. with nothing to share.

Then I went on to listen to this song "Wonderful life", cover by Slow Moving Millie. When I heard the chorus "..No need to run and hide.., it so wonderful, wonderful life..", my heart melted.. it sounded such a match to the Week 5 practice. I'm speechless..

You should try to listen to that cover. 😃

WavyyNavyy
Posted

Hello! Have you ever heard of the emotion code? I would look into it! It’s all about the meridians in our body and self healing. It’s one of the most powerful healing techniques I’ve found yet. If your interested, look up Bradley Nelson’s video on The emotion code or message me for more info. Have a wonderful day! 

CRMcCann
Posted

I missed a week because of a family trip, so am back on track for week 5.  At first, when I heard a lot about physical pain, I thought "I don't need this week, because I don't have a chronic illness or pain."  I then realized that this statement was somewhat judgemental, so stepped back and tried to actually concentrate on the techniques presented.  This is not just for chronic illness or pain, but for my intermittent migraines; for my feelings of inadequacy in parenting my neuroatypical child; for my feelings of helplessness at juggling mothering 3 very noisy boys and being present for them, keeping a household running while trying to gradually introduce minimalist and ecofriendly strategies, working 30 hours a week and being present for my patients, and nurturing both my spousal relationship and my own spirit's need for quiet and space and time to create.  

Thank you for this technique.  I obviously need it very much.

Udumbara
Posted

Good morning everyone :)

The best thing about this last weeks practice was being told I could choose to either sit or lie down at the beginning of the meditation :)  I chose to lie down and did not fall asleep :)  progress..

Im fairly  comfortable with physical unpleasantness as I know my body is telling me something and it’s often the only invitation I take to slow down as I am usually super active and feel like I’m not doing enough when I’m not.  I’m lucky to think of housework as good exercise and take that attitude into most movement, but when I have real pain, I give my self permission to stop.  Saying that, the mind is tricky and can tell me, ‘You didn’t get enough sleep last night, you could do nothing today’, when doing nothing is not necessary.  I try to find a good balance to honour my energy.

The meditation on emotional pain was timely though.  I’ve moved home to be closer to my 94 year old grandmother who lives alone and has done for 36 years so while she needs a hand with some things, she doesn’t really want me around full time and there’s a sense of not being needed or useful.  I notice after I finish my breakfast in the sun which I enjoy so much, I immediately think, ‘Right, I should get up and do something’ and then I wonder why sitting enjoying the sun is not something?  Having a sense of purpose and what the purpose needs to be is something I’m looking at at the moment.

Coinciding with this week’s meditation was a visit from my aunt who comes to stay with my grandmother for a few days every few months and who tells me that  she is the only one who can live with and care for my grandmother and I don’t need to think that I need to be here.  Her words and actions have been a real challenge for me throughout my life and I’m really working on trying to understand what experiences have shaped her and made her the person she is today.  As I write this I’m aware of tears forming behind my eyes, of a sense of tightness in my chest and I’m taking long, deep breaths.

As I pause and look out the window at the gum trees and the backdrop of the vast blue sky I also know that I can choose to focus on something else and come back to working on compassion when I’m not feeling the emotions so strongly in my body.  That said I will get of the internet and go outside into the garden.  

and the journey continues .......

waihong
Posted

The turning toward difficult emotions made me realized that I'm having difficulties to share my good state of mind with my friends, when most had trouble understanding themselves; even for long term practitioners. This led me to keep pondering many "Why..why..and why?" for the past few days.

To me, everyone had the same starting point. The air we breath is the same, the water we drink taste the same, the light we see is the same. So what makes us so different? Everyone loves to have happiness, but yet we set to seek it quite differently.

While I was meditating today, that "Why" thing continues. Then for a moment I realized something. I realized that I'm able to accept myself as who I am, whether it's about my weakness, my bodily discomfort or my emotions. That very acceptance simply makes me COMPLETE!

I'm complete, hence I'm happy; not that I'm better than others. Cheers!!

RichieA
Posted

The turning toward was a little more difficult for me. I have a history of turning away.  But I found this to be educational in how I see things 

waihong
Posted

When dealing with difficult emotions, our ever rational mind tends to persuade ourselves that things are ok. Even if I'm able to truly accept it mentally, my body would sometimes just screamed "Nope.. I just don't like it. Feels bad on me.. It's stuck on me..". At this moment, I finds the "Soften, Soothe, Allow" exercise helps a lot to relax and re-aligns both the body and mind. Yes, this re-alignment is very important to me. It keeps the internal fighting or imbalance out, allowing me to come back to myself again.