Understanding Awakening/Enlightenment

Posted (edited)

Awakening spiritually has been a part of my spiritual Journey for as long as i can remember :)  Not that i would Call my self an enlighten being or awaken one. But the idea of awakening to the truth of Our existance and what it actually mean that is something that i been pondering about many times.

So far i would say, i do not have the full answer to even my own awakening, but i have an idea what is needed to actually achieve it. But as soon as the thought has arising in the mind, Enlightenment fall apart :) It is not what i been thinking it is.

What is Your experience about the topic of awakening or enlightenment? Is it a part of Your spiritual Journey?

Edited by Guest User
Blackhippie
Posted

I don't think you can make yourself become enlightened. Also keep in mind not everyone will achieve enlightenment.  Personally I think, if one hasn't experienced a dark night of the soul there is no way you are awake. That is the path one must take usually it's a path discovered by accident. Dark night of the soul begins the moment you realize one,several, but usually it's all things you believed was true is a fraud. It shakes your core value and belief system to the core! You become severely depressed because you realize all your life you have been lied to and you now have to readjust every aspect of you life in accordance. The way you think and operate no longer works with the knowledge you know. It even questions your identity and purpose. In fact you have to change these things because by you making different choices to navigate this time makes you a different person. When you try to confide in people 95% look at you crazy and are dismissive and even defensive causing you to feel isolated and fustrated. I think the media has romanticized enlightenment as you go to a retreat or nature and you have and epiphany and that's not it at all. It's not gentle at all. The light at the end of the tunnel is the dark night of the soul passes it may take months or years. The actual enlightenment part is when you are researching answers consulting gurus and actually applying the new way of thinking,acting,being. You notice a shift in you life. you find balance again. The new you is stronger,wiser, better,calmer. You have an advangtage, I'm not sure if that is the word I want to use, over most of the population. You are illuminated while the rest are sleep

Posted

It is true that we must experience the dark side of life too, and work Our self out of it in the spiritual path.

Spiritual awakening can not be explained in Words, but can only be experienced of each one of us :) So even we have different understanding of what enlightenment is, it can be said to be the end result of Our cultivation of mind and body. So instead of it is something we "find" it is what we experience. And as you say, it is not everyone who will get the experience called enlightenment. actually only a few will experience it in this time of Our human existance.