xenspirit

Coronavirus Shut Ins

xenspirit
Posted

Hi,

My partner and I both are in the high risk category. We are disabled. He has COPD and is over 60. I have had heart surgery for aneurysm and so fall into another high risk area. So for the past 2 weeks, we have not gone out of the house. We stocked up in February.

We are ordering our groceries via a delivery service. There are a couple of different services in our area in the United states that go to local grocery stores and then bring them directly to your house. There's also services where you can order products in stock up amounts with free delivery.

As a result of our commitment to socially distance ourselves, I have had to give up things. I was taking an art class that I quit mid way through. It wasn't a huge investment, but it was a sadness for me to not be able to go. I also have quit going to a church where I had just started since we moved. I'm still involved peripherally, and I intend to go back this summer. But the risk for us is great. We really don't want to come down with coronavirus. 

Has anybody else made that kind of a choice? How are you coping with it?

Candy
Posted

Sorry to hear, Konnor! I must say that things are quite lax over here in Barcelona, even with the number of new 'infections' growing every day. No one wears masks, people are still spending most of their time outside, public transport is as full as usual, and no schools or other public buildings have been closed - yet. 

A few people from bigger companies have started working from home, but that's pretty much it for now. I don't watch the news, mind, so I might be missing something, but I think people are a lot more relaxed about it here.

However, I completely understand your decision to shut yourselves in. I wish you the best and pray that this is over soon so you can go back to church and art. ☺️

xenspirit
Posted

We are told here to not take the masks that health facilities need because they are having a hard time finding them. I think that people in the 30 and under range have very little radar as far as what is going on with coronavirus. People with kids are in blissful ignorance when schools are huge virus breeding grounds. Families tend to get infected first. 

I have to take my dog to the vet on Thursday and I am apprehensive about it. I'm going to wear gloves so I can just discard them before I come home. That seems like the most sensible idea to me rather than having to worry about what germs are on my hands after touching the door at the store. My pet on the other hand... Well she doesn't have any restraint and we don't know yet whether pets can transmit to humans. We do know they can get a mild form of coronavirus.

xenspirit
Posted

Local businesses that have newsletters are starting to send statements to their clientele with regard to their coronavirus plans. Public events which have food are being cancelled because of fears of spreading virus.

xenspirit
Posted

Btw, coronovirus has been the top subject on twitter for days now. You can see some linked stories on my twitter account if the subject is of interest to you. https://twitter.com/ftm_in_ma

Tine
Posted

In my opinion, if you can afford it and are in a high-risk group staying at home is the most sensible thing to do.
The Robert Koch Institute (a German federal government agency and research institute responsible for disease control and prevention) has clearly stated that staying away from crowds/ crowded situations, washing your hands thoroughly and regularly as well as not touching your face is the best prevention for regular people. Nevertheless, disinfection sprays have been sold out in stores for a long time already.

Yvonne
Posted

Hi @xenspirit I can completly understand your decision and it's probably the best that you can do right now. I also canceled a trip to Germany hat I had planned. I'm not in a high risk group but I don't want to be part of a chain in which I other put in risk. In China they did drastic meassurements to isolate people but as a result the new infections are disminishing. I wish you and your partner a lot of strength to get through this. Once the cold season stops, we can hopefull all go back to a daily life again.

xenspirit
Posted

I am hoping that the risk for this season is over by April so we can at least have a few  months of normalcy before the fall virus season starts again.

Candy
Posted

I hope for the best for you.

xenspirit
Posted

Thank you. The mortality rate for seniors is from 5 to 15 percent. I am copying and pasting some recommendations for seniors and probably those also who are high risk. It is from this article on quora: https://www.quora.com/q/aging-with-an-attitude?__filter__=14&__ni__=0&__nsrc__=1&__sncid__=4372432240&__snid3__=7108834050&__tiids__=5883129#anchor

Seniors can take action to do the following:

1. Stock up on food, medication and other supplies so you can stay at home for several weeks. Remember your pets!
  2. Postpone all visits and family gatherings.
  3. Handle delivered food like “meals on wheels” or “skip the dishes” very carefully! You don't know if people preparing it or delivering it are infected. Virus can live up to 48 hours on a contaminated surface! Use disinfectant wipes on any package or container surface that may have been touched.
  4. Stay at least 2 metres or 6 feet away from others. For example, keep your social distance from other pet owners when walking your dog! Don't allow others to pet your dog or cat! They could transfer virus on to their fur … and then on to you!
  5. Wear disposable gloves if you must touch any public surface such as a bank machine keypad or a gas pump handle.
  6. Stay away from any public gatherings such as cinemas or services at a church or mosque.
  7. Postpone any vacation or trips until the flu wave has passed by.
  8. Forget handshakes or kissing! Greet people, if necessary, using the “knuckle bump” or better yet the “elbow bump”!
xenspirit
Posted

I will take a look at that, Tine. It looks like it might have some really good points.

Tine
Posted

And some more resources for your mental health: the crisis kit from positivepsychology.com

Tine
Posted

I started a topic for gathering tips around keeping your mental and physical health during the shut in: