Depression like a gift

Al****

• Members
Posted (edited)

So far depression is sucking the life out of me. Please explain how is it beneficial?

Edited by TheEclecticAutismMom
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

I read some stuff suggesting the same idea. According to those "articles" it pushes you to think mor analytical etc as Calvin explained better. I don't know if I believe that either. What I understood was it basically activates your survival mode actually but I'm not really sure if those suggestions are really interpreted well from scientific studies or just some clickbaits cycling on internet. I would say there's a "good" side of depression which you learn things about yourself and self control but in general I can't see it as a gift for real and the most obvious effect I feel is overthinking instead of turning into a big analytic thinker-problem solver. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Posted

As per my understanding every disturbance has brought new energy, Experience and spirit once you over come it. 

• 4 months later...
  • Members
Posted

there's some benefit in everything. thought when depressed, it might be hard to notice or approach it in constructive and beneficial to oneself. because depression means that thinking, perception, scope to notice benefits are affected, limited, reduced. 
however, once one accepts that there's benefit in depression as condition, one can seek to explore possibilities and changes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Posted

So, for me at least, I've been able to see my 'Depression and Anxiety as a precious gift! A gift that's encouraged (or forced) me to look deeply within myself, along with outside of myself too, to investigate all areas of my life (and the outside world) to see what is/was out of balance and can be improved. I've done this on such a profound level, that without D and A I would certainly never have done (and I wouldn't be the person that I am today) So, for me, as with many other challenges and experiences in my life, what a gift it's been! One that has been so very beneficial!

image.jpeg

• 10 months later...
  • Members
Posted

I've been dealing with depression on and off, especially in these times! I read some article about practicing gratitude and writing a gratitude journal. It really helps me!