Battling emptiness

Candy

Posted

I've just read a lovely piece on the struggle of emptiness when it arises and what one can do to overcome it.

The first recommendation is to acknowledge the emptiness, as by doing so, you can see it for what it is. 

A few questions to ask oneself when you feel empty:

Do I tell myself positive things?

Am I judging myself or comparing myself to others?

Am I actively tending to my physical and health needs?

Have I turned towards behaviours or addictions to avoid my feelings?

Are my feelings being considered in my relationships, or am I minimising what I'm feeling?

Am I blaming myself or feeling guilty for things beyond my control?

Am I showing myself compassion as I would with a friend or family member?

Am I asserting myself in my decisions and respecting my personal opinions?

Other tips include finding things to be grateful for, spending time in nature, doing something you love, helping someone else, going to sleep and trying again tomorrow. 

I loved this article because it reminded me that it's totally ok to have down days, and sleeping on it doesn't necessarily mean giving up.

For anyone battling emptiness every now and then, remember you're not alone, and it will pass.

A super quote I just read: "Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end" - John Lennon.

Here's the link to the full article: https://weallneedhope.com/battling-emptiness-7-tips-for-when-you-feel-empty/

And to delve a little deeper, some more great advice on the topic can be found here.

Does anyone else have tips and go-to's to share on how they overcome the feeling of emptiness?

• Members
Posted
When I feel empty or detached, I try to find ways to feel grounded again, and this means getting out of my head and back into my head. Showing myself compassion usually results in me wanting to do something physical - yoga, gentle stretching - but taking a bath, even short, can be very helpful too.
  • Members
Posted
I enjoyed a lot reading the article... thanks for sharing ;)
Posted
1 hour ago, LALEMANA said:

I enjoyed a lot reading the article... thanks for sharing ;)

I'm so happy to hear that ?

Posted
15 hours ago, sarkhann said:

When I feel empty or detached, I try to find ways to feel grounded again, and this means getting out of my head and back into my head. Showing myself compassion usually results in me wanting to do something physical - yoga, gentle stretching - but taking a bath, even short, can be very helpful too.

Yoga and a bath sound heavenly! One often forgets that there's a body attached to the head/mind we find ourselves stuck in ?