Tine

Week 2 formal practice: Sitting Meditation

Tine
Posted

The main topic in week 2  is perception and creative responding: How we perceive the world and ourselves

During the sitting meditation, we allow ourselves to be curious about our perception to fully listen to ourselves. We practice stepping back, watching the breath while the bodily sensations, thoughts and emotions roll through us. Our thoughts, emotions and body sensations tell us many stories and give us hints that are of great value when navigating the physical as well as the emotional and intellectual world when we are able to consciously watch them and see them as such. Only when we are aware of how we perceive things do we get the freedom to choose our response instead of an automatic reaction.

I'd love to hear about your experience while watching your breath during the sitting meditation. Experiences during the bodyscan can be shared here and are much appreciated as well.

During the sitting meditation, I often hear my thoughts telling me all the things I should be doing right now. Once those things are done, I can still sit around and do nothing. Those thoughts can be loud and convincing. That's one reason why group meditations are so important to me. During a group sitting - even online - I will not walk away, knowing that I get into a deeper state of meditation as it's easier to leave my nagging thought behind.

After many years of meditation, I still struggle with that voice. If I didn't meditate for some time, it gets much harder to get back into it, and I struggle with those thoughts more. Once I am back into a daily routine it becomes much easier. I think this is comparable to doing some sort of sports on a regular basis.

drawoH14311
Posted

My experience in sitting meditation at first it was hard to do it alone but by practicing over and over again, you'll get used to it. I can focus more if l am doing it in my bedroom. I started last year and it really help me concentrate with my studies and it is good stress reliever too. When I meditate, I choose the time when my roommate and neighbor is at work. When they make noise, it will take time for me to focus. Time and place is very important for me to do my meditation.

Tine
Posted

Yes, @drawoH14311 time and place are crucial, and so is doing it regularly. Especially having a routine made it way easier for me to overcome the mental barrier of actually sitting and having a dedicated quiet place where you won't be interrupted is bonus and helpful.

I realised that rather than being interrupted, it's the anticipation of being interrupted. Even at home when I am alone, but I know that someone could come into the house, not even the room I stay somewhat "alarmed". On the other hand, I am now quite good to meditate on the bus or a train despite the interruptions and noise.