Candy

The key to happiness?

Candy
Posted

A new study has found that good mental health and being in a relationship make people happier than doubling their salaries. 😯

Depression and anxiety were the hardest issues people in the study lived with, but being in a relationship saw the biggest increase in the happiness of those living with these dis-eases.

This tells me that the things that matter most for our happiness and overall wellbeing, as well as for our misery, are our social relationships and our mental health.

What do you think?

Calvin77
Posted

On 7/23/2019 at 10:54 AM, Purr said:

But I would say that the key is health, for sure. 

Deffo agree with @Purr regards to health, both mental and physical. I've had issues with anxiety and panic attacks which really got me down for a while. And now I have some problems with a bad knee and ankle which has been impacting on happiness, as I love to do lots of walking and hiking and have been limited because of my injury! Grr! 

Also as @Bethnicles points out from the study, relationships are also key. I love being around the people that make me happy.

I'd also add purpose/meaning to that list of things that are essential for happiness and well-being. I feel better when I know I am achieving something useful :)

Lizzie
Posted
I agree that our health is definitely something that has a big impact on our happiness, and perhaps relationships in the broader term too. Not necessarily just romantic relationships, but friendships, and a close relation to family members for example.
Candy
Posted

Yeah, I think the article was referring to relationships in general (with friends and family), not romantic relationships only ☺️

@Calvin77 I have knee issues too and it's definitely impacting my overall level of happiness because I'm meant to be training for a half marathon, but it's sometimes too painful to run! So I feel you on that one.

xxxxxxx
Posted
Hello